Chapter 14: Pair work

Dinner was alright. The family talked over small things, included me once in a while. I didn't mind not being fully included, this was their family time after all. I had offered to sit at another table close by, but Len had made me sit in between him and Rin. So i just listened to the family talk, and joined in when they included me.
We were just strolling around now, window shopping. Or when Anka sees something she wants, then we visit the stores. I walked behind the family with the other two bodyguards, whom I still hadn't bothered to learn their names. Well, I'm sorry, I don't see them often enough to learn their names.
I was looking around, casually observing my surroundings when someone looped their arm through mine. "Miku~ what are you doing all alone?" A girl in full black with pink highlights asked in a sing-song voice.
"Teto? What are you doing here?" I was surprised to see her here, and in assassin attire as well.
Oh yes, assassin attire is full black. We have our own coloured highlights and unique characteristics, but that's about it. In Teto's case, her assassin attire was a full black dress with pink frills and highlights. She wore thigh-high tights as well, probably hiding a gun somewhere.
"I could ask you the same thing. Are you here alone?" Teto asked, looking around for my company. I pointed to the family in front of me, "I'm not. Are you?"
"Nope. I was sent here on a mission, with a few others," she ticked the names off her fingers, "Assassin: Sakura, Assassin: Blue jay, and Assassin: Violin. We're tracking people down."
"Tracking people down yet you're here clinging onto my arm."
"It's on the way," she pouted at me.
We were silent for a few seconds, Teto latching on to me as I followed the family who still hadn't noticed her.
"So, what exactly is the mission about?"
Teto burst into the mission plan, "We were told that there were some gang members hiding out here and planning to attack someone. Exactly who, we aren't sure. So we got sent here to take out the baddies. You've got your guns with you, right?"
"Yeah, I do. Aren't you going to evacuate the people first though?"
The public who doesn't know what's going on would only get in the way.
"Violin and Sakura are doing that, evacuating as many people as they can before the gang members start their attack."
I reached into my bag, and fished out the tiny earpiece. I latched it onto my ear and took out my phone. "Code," I demanded.
"200605."
Teto watched me connect the earpiece to their signal and asked, "Are you joining us?"
"No, I'm going to get my missions out of harm's way. You guys have your fun, but if anyone comes my way, tell me. I'm not going to let them hurt my missions."
Teto scanned me for a second. "You really care about them, don't you?" She asked, gesturing towards the twins and their parents.
I glanced at her, and ignored the question. She can get the answer from my silence.
Cake, who joined? The earpiece crackled to life. Teto answered, "You'll never be able to guess. It's Songbird!"
Songbird? Joining us?
"No, I joined your call to make sure I don't meet with your prey. You guys have fun."
Boo, I thought you liked these kinds of missions. A male voice mumbled. Assassin: Blue jay.
"Maybe I would have joined if it wasn't because I have another mission."
Ah, we heard. You might want to get them out of the building as soon as possible. 
"Miku..."
I looked over at Teto, she stealthily gestured behind us. I pretended to stop to look at some jewellery displayed in a store and stole a glance. There were two men who wore bulky sweaters, and had earpieces on them as well. They weren't very good at hiding the earpieces, and the worst part is they weren't assassins.
The mall was almost empty, very few people were left. I continued walking after the family, Teto beside me.
She leaned in and whispered, "I'll take them, get your missions out of here. And prepare your guns." I gave her a small nod and started to walk a bit faster to catch up with Len. I pulled him close before he could even say anything, "There's dangerous people here. We need to get you, Rin and your family out of here asap. But I can't let them panic or they might not move as fast. Are you able to think of a way?"
He didn't question me, instead he just called for his parents' attention, "Mom, Dad, remember that amusement park you wanted to bring us to? I heard it's open."
Fudo looked at his wrist watch, "Maybe another time Len, it's a bit late. We should go home now, you two need your sleep."
He nodded, "Okay."
I walked to the front and turned around to face the family, "Things are going on around here, so whatever happens I need you to trust me. At least, until everything is over."
I glanced behind the family, and saw Teto staring down the two men. She had her assassin mask up to cover the bottom half of her face so that she wouldn't be fully recognized by strangers. They kept advancing towards her, only slowing down a meter away. She tensed, her gun prepared at her side. Time to move.

I gestured for the family to follow me, and hurried in another direction away from Teto and the two men. The two other bodyguards followed behind the family, I'm hoping they'll keep themselves safe back there.
I took my assassin's mask out and put it on. If you were wondering, I take my mask, guns and daggers wherever I go in case of instances like these. The only difference about my outfit now is  the fact that my shirt is white. The rest is pretty much the same as my assassin's outfit.
I led the family to a safe corner for them to take a break. While they were catching their breath, I handed out bracelets, "These can protect you from any bullets or sharp objects. They'll sense any incoming danger and react on their own so all you need to do is keep running."
Rin was pretty anxious, "What's going on out there?"
I recounted everything that I could tell her slowly, "There are gang members out there, they're hunting for someone. I'm not sure who but I don't want you guys in the crossfire so I'm going to get you out of here and back home."
Songbird, the two are down. I'm coming to join you, where you at?
Teto's voice crackled at my ear. I leaned away from the family to mutter, "Not too far away. Around the second corner."
On my way.
I prepared a gun while waiting for Teto, the family watched me with worry-filled wide eyes. I stood to attention when I heard footsteps.
"Miku? It's me, Teto. It's all clear."
I waved the family and their two bodyguards out of our hiding place. Teto waited for all of us to file out before bowing to the family, "It's nice to meet you. My name is Kasane Teto, Miku's friend and work buddy. We'll be doing our best to get you all out of here as fast as possible, so we hope you can cooperate to your fullest."
I smacked Teto's arm, "Why so formal?"
"They are technically our clients, even though our job scope doesn't really cover-"
I gave her a glare to tell her to shut up. Now is not the time to explain my job.
Teto pursed her lips, and frantically searched for another thing to say. Turns out she didn't have to, because our earpieces crackled to life again.
Cake, Songbird, you're at level three, right? There are six in total on your level. Assassin: Violin.
"I took out two just now, which means there are four left," Teto calculated.
I stalked to the nearest escalator, "Come on, if we see anyone on the way of getting out we'll take them."
Why did it come to this? Where did the normal family bonding time go?