Chapter 19: A threat

He was on his way back home, after another day of work. Orders were coming in, transactions were going well, everything was running smoothly.
The roads were empty, they always were at this timing. Usually, everyone would be at home. Spending time with their families, or doing whatever they do at home, and not out coming back from work.
If only his workplace wasn't so far from home. But it was the only way to make sure his kids would not be affected.
His wife was already at home, probably tucking the kids in. He used to do that too, when the kids were younger and when he had a stable job.
Not that his job now isn't stable. It just takes a lot more time. 

All of a sudden, his phone started to vibrate. He glanced at his phone, confused that there was no caller name. A scam call, maybe? He answered the phone anyway, curious to find out who it was. One of his customers? The voice on the other side of the line was not the automated monotone voice that he expected.

"You took something from us," the voice was ice cold, laced with danger, "Return it and we'll leave you alone."
"I don't understand."
"You know exactly what I'm talking about, don't act dumb. If you don't return what you took, you will regret it." The voice on the line got harsher, losing its patience.
He was losing his patience too, "Look, sir. I have no idea what you're talking about. If you are one of my customers, I'll let you know that every order has gone through and there has been no complaints. Now, good night."
He hung up on his mystery caller, huffing in annoyance.

Who was that? A customer yes, but which one? He knew he took something, but he has taken from all the customers he had before.
Whatever. So long as his family doesn't get involved.