14.) Bonus Chapter: See you on the flip side, my baby

In the days that followed, we became more and more out of touch with who we were and what we really wanted. I focused more so on what had to be done while she stressed about her desires. She don't understand how I'm trying to get shit set up for us yet.

I can't give her a normal life if we are constantly a target. I just need to set shit in motion and let my actions speak for me now. She might be confused now but in due time she's gonna understand the reason for this. It's not that I don't love her, I just need her and my kids out of reach right now.

We sat on the porch, he situated himself in my lap while Bri and Mimi played catch.

"When are we going to the new house?" Ky asked as he turned his head up to look at me. A young me, an innocent me. I be damned if he's forced to follow in my footsteps.

"Just one more night and y'all gone be on a plane."

"You coming too right dada?" He asked as he stopped fidgeting with his toy.

"Not right now."

"Why?"

"I gotta go see somebody for a little while."

"Then you gone come home?"

"..." It was hard having to explain the unknown to kids. I can speak confidence all day long, but in reality whose to say I'm even gonna make it back to my babies? "While I'm gone you gone have to look out for your mama and your sister."

"Why?" He asked in what sounded like annoyance. "They big girls."

I chuckled. He don't understand what it means to be the man of the house. He didn't know the famous sayings about coming into manhood. But he's still a child so I ain't gone hold him on that.

"Dude, you gone be the man of the house. So you gotta look after the girls. Make sure nobody hurt them."

"Can't they get guns?"

"What you know about guns?"

"YouTube. They got all kinds of guns."

I knew a day like this would come. But how can I properly explain this to him without sounding like a hypocrite? I mean I held my first gun at his age, but I was guided the right way so I never misused it.

It sounds crazy coming from a morally incorrect mind, but maybe me showing him how to use one the right way and me telling him that it's only used in dire situations maybe he'll be alright. I couldn't ponder it now and besides Bri ain't gonna be alone in Cali anyway. The whole family is there to look after her and my kids. So there was no need for Kyson to be the man of the house. But I did want him to feel like he had a purpose.

"You too small to have a gun. And you don't even know how to shoot." I corrected him. I'm so glad she's a safe distance away and Mimi was cackling like a hyena. I'm definitely sure that if she would have heard this conversation she would have lost her mind.

"I can learn how though!" He continued to persuade me into putting a gun in his hand. It wasn't happening. At least not now anyway.

"No. And you better watch yourself before yo mama get you." I warned him. She came walking over with Mimi tucked in her arms. Panting and smiling as she chased her for the last ten minutes.

"She's quick." She laughed as she sat Milani on her feet. Kyson dropped his little gun talk and went back to playing Fortnite on his phone.

"She would dust you in a race." I laughed as I reached to tickle Mimi. The smile that lit up her face was innocent. And honestly, I just wanted her to stay that way.

"Mommy, can we get ice cream?"

"Go and get it. Take your sister with you so me and your dad can talk."