29. Bonus Chapter: Something I Have To Do

"You told her you were going where?" The question was so simple but his words held a shit ton of confusion. Honestly, I couldn't really explain to him what I was about to do. He would probably try and talk me down and tell me it was a dumb ass idea. But I felt like I had to do this.

"To Montana to track down a lead," I told him as we spoke over the phone. "Look Drew—I'm counting on you to look after her while I'm gone."

"On one condition."

"What?"

"Tell me where you are?"

"Man gone—You know exactly where I am. You think you slick but you really ain't. You tracking me right now as we speak."

"Yeah because you left in the middle of the night and said nothing to your brother or father."

"Look man—I just got some things I need to take care of. Some loose ends to tie up."

"What are you doing in Chicago prince?" I could hear the frustration in his voice. But I didn't need to explain myself to him or anybody else. Like I said before, I didn't plan to do this but I felt like I needed to.

"I told you I got some shit to deal with." I sighed again. I turned a corner and ended up riding through my old block. The block that raised me. Essex block,but it wasn't the same. The same people didn't occupy the block, the houses and apartments were even more run-down than they were the last time I was here.

"Don't do anything stupid—please. I'd hate to have to burn that entire city down behind you."

"You ain't never had a problem burnin' shit down before." I laughed as I glanced at the corner where a chick stood hassling a group of young niggas.

I dialed the number that I received from my "helper" and waited as the phone rang. When it was answered my heart sank. I thought better for him, I wanted better for him.

"Hello? Aye—who is this?" He spoke regularly but his self-awareness was so ass. So his words were more like yells. I watched him as he frantically observed his surroundings. Glancing up and down the street. I hung up the phone and placed my hand on my head. Herb was supposed to get out. He was never supposed to be stuck here on the corner.

The lil chick that was still standing there started moving weirdly. She started rubbing her arms and rolling her head around. She kept trying to touch him but every time she did he snatched away. One of the other niggas pulled something from his pocket and chucked it and she went running to get whatever it was. They all laughed as they watched her kneeling down on the street picking up whatever it was she was begging for.

I turned on the engine of the black Benz, I borrowed. Taking off down the street toward them I had no clue what I was gone do. I'm not even sure if this is gone play out the way I want it to.

I had an advantage though.

They couldn't see me due to the pure black tints but I could definitely see them clear as day. Other than Herb and Roddie, this was a whole new group of niggas. I got closer and closer and that's when I saw the chick on the ground was no one other than my baby sister, my flesh and blood—Kay.

I shut my eyes and counted to ten. Thinking that when I opened them again it would just be a fucked up image in my imagination. But it wasn't. It was still her, crawling across the ground looking for whatever it was that was chucked across the sidewalk. I was trying to remember what I last saw of her and it wasn't this. A single thug tear ran down my cheek as I hit the corner and drove away from them.

I pulled up to my last known location, the warehouse, and found that it was just the way I left. I flicked on the lights and that's when the memories hit. I met my son here, I laid here in total fear, I killed my best friend here. Amir's blood lingered on the couch and a few spots remained on the carpet. When the reminiscing was done my feet finally found the motivation to start moving. I grabbed a fabric tarp from the upstairs room and draped it over the couch.