6.) Bonus Chapter: Still Mourning

*All the way back in Chicago*

"How are you feeling today?" She asked as I came into the office. I tried to keep my face together but I was sick and tired of hearing that question. I've been hearing it for the last two years and my feelings haven't changed since then. I just wish they knew it wasn't easy to mourn the death of a husband, and two children.

"Good morning Brooklyn." My superior spoke softly as I adjusted my shirt. "How are you?"

Now they both stood in front of me with their eyes glued to me like I was a spectacle to see. I put my things down on my desk and removed my blazer.

"We know it's the anniversary and we just want—"

"I'm fine," I expressed as I glared at my computer screen. "Where are the reports I asked for?"

"I'll get them for you," Jenna said as she fled from my office. My superior, Monica, stayed behind. She slowly walked toward me as she kept her eyes on me.

"You don't have to play tough with me Brook. I know losing two children and a husband is difficult."

Try losing them in the same month.

"I'm just trying to move on," I told her as I logged into my profile. A glimpse of my old screen saver caught my eye. Back then we were so happy and all together. "Me and Kyra are getting through this the best way we know how."

Our lives had changed so drastically. My firstborn daughter went missing and it was up to me to find her, then I found out my husband was cheating on me while I was pregnant with our third child, the son he always wanted. Then our world came tumbling down, and my husband and daughter turned up in a burned car. I went into early labor and my son ended up passing away. My second daughter lost a best friend and a sister, and a brother and a father.

As many times as I say we're getting through this, I don't think people know that we'll never completely heal from this. It was just too much. And it was basically the two of us. After the funeral, his family went back to the Carolinas and haven't spoken to us since. I literally needed help and they vanished, but I didn't have time to cry about it. My surviving child was falling apart and she needed to be cared for.

"You know if you need me I'm always here," She sighed and placed a hand on my shoulder. I laid my hand over hers and smiled. She nodded in acknowledgment. "Oh and before I forget. We have a new partner meeting today at eleven. Don't be late."

"Heard you," I responded as I clicked through my emails. It was mostly just work emails and some cover letters. However, one of them sparked my interest. It was from an email address that I didn't recognize. I went against the advice of my good friend who told me that these tips only brought more pain and confusion, I clicked on it, and inside was something that broke my heart.

A photo of a young woman who resembled Bri, but she had a small child with her. I was trying to find closure, even if the case had none. They couldn't find anyone who would want to hurt my family, the tips long since went left and the case went cold. Until this day they have no leads on who would kill my husband and child.

At the bottom of the photo was just the simple tag. South Haven, Michigan. Why would my child be in Michigan? It was impossible. Especially because I know my child is buried in the ground. It brought me to my knees when they asked me to identify her body. It didn't matter that the body was burned, her bracelet that she always wore hung from her wrist and I just knew it was her.

I pushed the image out of my head and decided to head to my work meeting. I can't keep doing this to myself. It was useless. There would never be a conviction and even if it was, it wasn't gonna bring them back.

As I headed to the conference room all eyes were on me, like they had been since I returned. It was difficult to work, especially because the case was so publicized. Everyone knew so there was no hiding it.

I just had to pretend to not notice it. I stepped into the surrounding glass room and took a seat. I glanced around the table and my eyes landed on a face that looked so familiar.

"Alright let's get started. We have a list of things to work through today."

As Monica talked, her words entered my ear in a blur. I don't understand why but for some reason all I could think about is how I remember this man. The feeling was so strong that it weighed on me so heavily.

"I would like to introduce our newest team member," She motioned to him and he stood up. I did my best to turn away but it was something about him. "Dane McClure."

He came to the front of the room and smiled. Then it all started clearing up. I had seen his face on the last occasion that I spent with my daughter. We bonded over how attractive we thought he was...then she was gone.

"Thank you—thank you guys for welcoming me to your team. I look forward to working with all of these lovely people." He said as he turned his gaze on me.