18

It was outright painful to watch Liam and Zayn struggle with the space between them. They kept looking at each other, blushing and looking away whenever they caught each other, and if I wasn't seeing things, Zayn was slowly moving closer to him. Meanwhile, Harry's legs were still resting over mine, and I was gently tracing my fingers over his knee, gradually moving them further up. He didn't react to it until he could tell I was trying to tease him, fingers slipping between his legs and along his inner thighs, his breath hitching in response.

"Louis," he whispered, eyes warning me to stop. 

I knew we had agreed on keeping it to kissing, but I couldn't help myself as I moved my fingers further up. He closed his eyes when I traced my fingers along the outline of his hardening member, forcing a gasp out of him when I increased the pressure. He reached out for the remote and turned up the volume to make sure it drowned out any accidental moans now that he knew I wasn't gonna stop. I wanted to take things further with him, but not to the extent of sex. Not when I knew there was only a week left until we were officially stepbrothers. And maybe I was naive enough to think a bit of teasing wasn't gonna lead to more.

Yet even while knowing I was crossing a line, I got his jeans open with one hand, sliding down the zipper before I carefully slipped a hand into them. He bit down on his lip, and I palmed him through his boxers until he was fully hard, carefully tugging on his waistband afterwards so I could trace my thumb over the head of his cock as it was now free. He bit down on his lip harder, eyes rolling while I continued until my thumb was wet from precum.

"Liam, shut up." 

I stopped what I was doing and looked at Liam and Zayn instead, Harry doing the same. I had been too caught up in Harry's facial expressions, so I hadn't noticed they had started talking. Zayn seemed frustrated, and Liam was hurt in one way or another.

"I just—"

"No, you have to stop," Zayn interrupted, getting up while Liam seemed to panic slightly before he got up with him. 

I let Harry close his jeans so we could both sit up properly, watching Liam as he grabbed Zayn's wrist to stop him.

"Please, Zayn."

"What do want, Liam?"

"An answer."

"I can't give you the one you want."

"Then why do you keep leading me on?" 

Zayn raised his eyebrows but seemed to calm down. Even though Zayn was struggling, Liam had a point. Zayn should take all the time he needed to get comfortable with who he was, but he needed to keep Liam out of it. Liam was already out of the closet, and he couldn't handle not knowing whether or not Zayn was gonna get there eventually. It was tiring for him that Zayn couldn't make up his mind, and not only because Liam was fragile, but also because he needed stability. He wanted love more than anything, and it was painful to watch him fall for someone who didn't.

"I didn't mean to," Zayn began. "I just... I've always had feelings for boys, Liam, I've just never understood it. I felt ashamed every time I kissed a boy, but then I kissed you, and I... I felt like I could finally breathe. You're like coming up for air, which is why I keep kissing you, but I'm scared."

"Why?" Liam asked, almost whispering. 

"If I were to come out, nothing would be familiar anymore. I just... it's terrifying."

"I know. I've been through it."

"My parents aren't like yours, Liam."

"What do you mean?"