30

Three weeks after we had decided not to touch each other, Harry asked me if he could sing me a song. A song he had started writing before we ended it, but had finished over the past three weeks, trying out different melodies until he got it right. We hadn't talked as much as we used to. We could no longer sneak into each other's rooms. Not only were we not allowed to, but if we got away with it like we knew we could, we'd no longer be able to hold back. We spoke on the way to school and back home, but barely more than that. But we had been good. We had stayed away from each other and despite the sexual tension, we hadn't slipped.

"What's it called?" 

He smiled slightly while he placed his fingers on the strings. "Sweet creature." 

It was an odd name, but I liked it. He bit his lips when he stayed playing, trying to hide his smile before he started singing softly.

"Sweet creature

Had another talk about where it's going wrong

But we're still young

We don't know where we're going

But we know where we belong."

I smiled and teared up at the same time, biting my lip while I watched him as he sang. His eyes burned into mine, green meeting blue like so many times before.

"And oh we started

Two hearts in one home

It's hard when we argue

We're both stubborn

I know

But oh

Sweet creature, sweet creature

Wherever I go, you bring me home

Sweet creature, sweet creature

When I run out of road, you bring me home."

He looked away when he teared up himself, blinking them away while he tried to make his voice steady again. But it was shaking even though he tried his best.

"Sweet creature

We're running through the garden

Oh, where nothing bothered us

But we're still young

I always think about you and how we don't speak enough."

I closed my eyes while he continued and enjoyed the sound of his voice until he was finished. Even then I kept my eyes closed, and I wasn't entirely sure why. Perhaps I was simply trying to hold on to the moment. After all, I had been in so much pain throughout the past three weeks and this was the first time I felt something different. I wasn't entirely sure what the purpose of the song was. I knew he used music as an outlet, and the song was so, so beautiful. My heart was aching, but it didn't change anything. Though I don't think he expected it to.

"Louis." 

I opened my eyes again to see he had put down his guitar, now reaching out to help me up from the floor. He placed a hand on my cheek, so I closed my eyes and leaned into his touch.

"Harry," I whispered.

"Can I kiss you?" 

I hesitated, but he was close enough for his breath to mix with mine. Our parents weren't home, but it was the first time they had trusted us enough to leave us alone. I suppose they shouldn't have.