In The Eye Of The Hurricane

John's POV

After the bomb exploded, I was thrown forward and knocked unconscious. I have no idea how long I was out for, only that by the time I woke up it was dark and the sky was filled with what looked to be a million beautiful stars.

It had completely destroyed everything as far as I could see. Dust, blood, and several other unidentifiable things were scattered all around me. I flinched in disgust.

Just then, I heard a noise coming from the woods behind me. I turned just in time to hear a male voice calling my name. When he got closer, I could just see him through the trees.

" Alexander!" I yelled out to him. A second later he turned and saw me. A huge smile of relief spread across his pale face as he came running.

He stopped in front of me panting. " I thought you were dead," he whispered. That was when I saw the tears in his eyes. I felt terrible for scaring him even though it wasn't my fault.

So I reached over and gave Alex a long hug.

" Do you want to get out of here," I asked hopefully. He nodded.

So together we walked through the woods, simply taking in the silence of the forest at night. Through the trees, if you looked up, you could just make out the glow of the stars.

Soon we came across a nice field with red and green flowers growing everywhere. It was absolutely gorgeous and I was in awe. It was a great change from what I had just witnessed earlier.

Alex grabbed my hand and led me over to a tree towards the end of the field. We both sat down together with our backs against it, staring up at the stars, and taking in the beauty of tonight.

I placed my hands behind my head and sighed. Alex glanced over at me.

" You okay?" He asked kindly.

" Yeah. Just thinking. Today's been crazy, you know?"

He nodded in agreement. " Do you think we'll die, Laurens?"

I shrugged. " Maybe," I replied honestly. Then I giggled. " Since when did you start calling me Laurens?"

Alex blushed. " I just like the way it sounds," he said, looking down at the ground. I smiled and tossed an arm around his shoulders.

" I like it."

" Great, because I was going to keep calling you that anyways."

I laughed as I side hugged Alex. You know what, maybe we can both make it through this alive. I hope so at least.