We Won!

Alex's POV

"We won!" Hercules screamed in excitement from across the bar where he was picking up our drinks. Cheers rang out across the room as people celebrated the success the war had proved to be. I was still in shock. We won. We actually fucking won.

John grabbed both of our drinks from Herc and turned to hand mine over to me. When he turned, for a split second we made eye contact. Have his eyes always been that sparkly? He flashed me a quick smile before standing up. Or trying to.

Immediately after he stands up, John has to grab onto the table for support. I guess his leg isn't fully healed yet. I stand up to help him, then wrap my arm around his shoulders so he can stand, leaning on me slightly. I found myself enjoying the warmth of his body against mine, so I leaned back against him. I felt John's eyes on me, and not knowing what to do, I looked back up at him.

We stayed like that, staring into each other's eyes for a full minute before Herc cleared his throat. Oh right, we aren't alone. I chuckled nervously and put a bit more space between John and me.

" Raise a glass to freedom!" John exclaimed. The three of us raised our beers high, and I couldn't help but feel a little sad. Lafayette had to journey back to France as soon as the war was over. I didn't know when the next time I would get to see him was going to be. A while, most likely.

Herc hopped on the table and started to sing, while Laurens and I stayed on the ground, arms around each other, swaying in a drunken dance. However, instead of just being able to enjoy the celebration, I kept finding myself watching John. The way he danced, the way he moved, it was... mesmerizing.

When I saw that he had finished his drink, I quickly jumped in and said, " Laurens, let me get the next one!"

He nodded and grinned at me; I started to giggle uncontrollably. We are so freaking drunk. When I returned, John was passed out on the ground and Hercules was tumbling around, saying nonsense words no one else could understand.

I gave the drinks over to a couple sitting a few tables away, and slowly picked up John bridal style, and started to carry him home, leaving Herc waving at our backs.