Promise Me

John's POV

I was sitting with my back against the enormous oak tree in my backyard, when I heard someone calling my name.

"Laurens!"

I sat up and grinned. Finally, Alex was here.

He ran up and hugged me immediately.

"Woah woah," I laughed. "What's the hurry?"

Alexander's face fell. "I um, have something to tell you." I felt the blood drain from my face.

What if he says that he regrets ever kissing me and we should just go back to being friends? Or if he was just faking all along and turned me into the government?

I started to breathe faster, and everything started to get a bit dizzy. Alex noticed and quickly grabbed my waist, then pulled me down to sit on the ground with him.

"Hey, hey. Don't worry, it's nothing bad."

I visibly relaxed and let out a breath I hadn't even realised I had been holding.

"Okay. So what is it?"

"I'm dueling with Burr tomorrow."

I gasped and jumped up, pushing Alex away.

"What the hell?" I yelled. "Why would you agree to that?"

Alexander lowered his head, and I immediately felt bad for yelling at him.

I sat back down and rubbed his back gently. "I'm sorry for yelling," I whispered in his ear.

Alexander nodded and looked up at me.

"Don't worry, Laurens. I've done hundreds of more dangerous things in my life. I'll be fine."

I thought about it for a minute. Alex had been through the death of his mother, a hurricane had literally destroyed his home, and he had fought an entire war. And Alexander was still alive.

"Are you sure?" I asked nervously.

Alex smiled and gave me a quick nod.

I grabbed his shoulder and pulled our foreheads together.

"Alexander Hamilton, do you promise me you'll be okay?"

He grabbed both of my hands and rubbed them.

"I promise that I will stay alive for you, my dearest Laurens," he whispered.

I smiled, feeling relieved. "Good. I couldn't bear to lose you, Alex. You're the love of my life."

"And you're mine," he told me. We both started blushing.

Alexander stood up and looked back down at me. "I'm truly sorry, John. But I have to get a full night's sleep so I can do my best tomorrow."

I nodded, then stood up to hug him.

He buried his face in my neck and I kissed the side of his face carefully.

"I love you, John Laurens."

"I love you, Alexander Hamilton."

We kissed, and then I stepped back.

As Alex walked towards the street, I called from the doorstep, " I'll see you tomorrow, Alex!"

He turned to wave and blow me a kiss.

"See you tomorrow, John!

When I got back inside, I went straight to my bed and sat down. I was terribly worried for Alex, but I'm sure he'll be okay.

He is Alexander Hamilton, after all.

I smiled as I laid down and pictured his face in my head. My last thought before I fell asleep was: I can't wait to see Alex tomorrow.