Laurens Is In South Carolina

Alex's POV

I had been dreading this day for weeks, ever since John told me he would be leaving for South Carolina this weekend, I've been thinking about what it would be like to be all alone for a while again. I had just gotten used to the feeling of having friends, people I could talk to whenever I needed, and now my closest one is leaving. John promises that he'll be back before the month ends, but I still believe that's far too long.

I climbed out of bed this morning with a frown already plastered across my face. John and I had arranged to meet at a restaurant downtown, and I didn't want to disappoint him by being late.

I threw on some clothes, pulled my hair back, and put on my shoes. By the time I was leaving, the sun was already directly overhead in the sky above me. I had gotten home late last night, then stayed up even longer to work on my writing, so I thought I deserved to sleep in a bit.

It didn't take me long to travel downtown, my house was conveniently located only a few streets away. I smiled upon seeing John standing in front of my favorite restaurant waiting for me, and quickly hurried over to him.

" Why is it always you waiting for me instead of the other way around?" I asked as we both walked up to the building and opened the door.

John shrugged. " I guess I'm just less busy," he replied. I nodded in agreement. I do work a lot more than the average person.

We got our food and sat down to eat towards the back of the restaurant, then began talking.

" But Laurens, why do you have to go?" I whined. " I'll be so lonely without you."

John laughed at my childishness and I held back a smile. He has such a pretty laugh. And pretty eyes too...

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of John's voice answering my question.

" I have to go because my father has fallen ill and there is no one else there to help take care of him," John told me, a hint of sadness on his freckled face.

I reached across the table and placed my hand on his shoulder, looking him in the eyes.

" John, you know I don't really mean that I want you to stay here and let your father suffer, right?" I said nervously.

John giggled. " Of course I know that, Alex."

I sighed in relief. " Thank goodness because that would make me seem like a terrible friend," I told him.

At the word friend, John winced slightly and I was about to ask him what was wrong when he suddenly stood up. A look of panic filled his face as he glanced down at me and said, " I completely forgot when I was supposed to leave, I'm going to miss my train!"

I stood up too and quickly gave him a warm hug before patting him on the back and

saying, " I guess you'll have to run."

John nodded, gave me a smile, and then turned on his right foot and ran for the door.

" Good luck!" I shouted from behind him. When John was out of sight, I turned to sit back and noticed that everyone in the restaurant was staring at me.

I laughed nervously. " Sorry, everyone." Then I sat down to finish eating my lunch.