Coffee Shop Romance

Requested by hazelsmith1994. I hope you like it. Thanks for requesting.

You were dragging yourself to work when you saw the coffee shop in your distance, you needed a large coffee to keep you alive after the night of no sleep.

"What can I get you"? A young man in his late twenties, early thirties asked as you looked at the menu. You knew what you wanted but they always had something different each week for a pastry.

"Um, A very large coffee, with cream and sugar. Lots of sugar. Then I'll have a chocolate chip muffin, a bear claw and a apple tart with powdered sugar. A Danish and a powdered donut". You say with a smile that turned into a blush because he was staring at you with a cute grin.

"Would that be it? We have this amazing blueberry cake with a lemon glaze. It's so good".

"I think so. I'm not a fan of blueberries. Thanks though".

"Not a fan of blueberries? What"? He dramatically gasped with a laugh.

"Just not my thing. Not a fan of strawberries either". You say as you swiped your card.

"Are you even human? Everyone likes strawberries". He chuckled going to get your items.

"If you had a spicy pastry then I'll buy you out of it. I'm really into spicy things. I guess my job made me that way". You say as you started eating your muffin.

"What do you do"?

"I'm a firefighter at Chicago fire department".

"No way"? He stopped what he was doing and walked over to the counter.

"I use to work there myself. I'm Peter Mills".

"No way. Your dad is a legend".

"Yeah, he is. That's why I wanted to be a firefighter".

"Then why did you leave"?

"I didnt want to end up like him. So I came here to help out. My family owns this shop".

"Well I do have to say you make killer coffee and breakfast food. It has kept me alive for a long time". You chuckled pushing a piece of hair behind your ear.

"Are you on your way to work now"?

"Yeah. I'm kinda running late but I worked a double yesterday and didnt sleep good last night so it's okay".

"Oh. Well you have a safe day and I'll see you tomorrow morning". He smiled handing you your baggy of goodies and your coffee.

"Thanks, have a good day".

"I'll think about adding something spicy to the menu". Peter spoke before you walked out.

"I can't wait". You simply said with a smile as you walked out the door.

After a few months of visiting the coffee shop on your way to and from work Peter and you became quite good friends. He even made you a tester for new food he was thinking about.

"Taste this". You opened your mouth and he laid a harmless little donut on your tongue. Wrong, as you started chewing it up.

"Hot, hot, very hot". You fanned your mouth as you looked around for something to cool it off with. Peter laughing.

"What..was...in..that"?

"Fire balls, cinnamon and some cayenne pepper. Hot isn't"?

"That is not the definition of that donut".