Chapter 55

I run like my life depends on it. I've never been a very sportive type but now nothing can stop me.

I'm out of breath by the time I reach the house. Jack and Hero are standing on the porch with a beer.

"Hero!" I yell. "Hero, we need to talk!"

"Charlotte?" Hero answers in disbelief.

When I reach the porch I need to catch my breath for a second. I put my hands on my knees and take some deep breaths.

"Charlotte, is everything okay? Where is Lizzie?" Jack is concerned and walks down the stairs. He takes my arms as soon as he reaches me.

"Lizzie is fine," I pant. "She's down by the lake. She's coming this way. I need to talk to Hero."

"Uhm, okay." Hero and Jack exchange a look. They clearly think I'm crazy.

I walk up the stairs and reach Hero.

"Hero, I'm so so sorry! Lizzie told me and I can't believe I was this stupid! I should have believed you! Please, Hero, you need to give me another chance!" I put my hands on his cheeks and force him to look at me. As usual, I can't read his thoughts but his eyes turn cold. He takes my hands and pushes me away.

"So that's why you want me back? Because Lizzie told you?!" His voice is trembling.

I'm searching for the right words, I need to explain myself better. I'm vaguely aware that people are staring but I don't care. All I care about is Hero and I need to explain everything. I need to make him understand that I love him.

"No, Hero, I swear that's not the only reason! I... Josh and I never had sex. I wasn't ready and I couldn't quite figure out why. Tonight I told myself I was ready but when he kissed me, all I could think of was you. It felt so wrong. You're the only one for me. That's when I called Lizzie. I wanted to talk to her and know her opinion. She realized I still love you and she told me about Melany and the baby and-"

"Stop," Hero says in a low voice. "Just stop, Charlotte."

"What?" I whisper. "Please, let me explain!"

"No! As if you never had sex with Josh! Stop lying to me!"

"You have to believe me, nothing happened!" I cry out in despair.

"I don't have to believe you." He takes a step backwards as if to create more distance between us, as if he can't stand being near me.

"Why don't you believe me?! It's the fucking truth!"

"Well, now you know how that feels. But no, I don't believe you."

"Hero.." I reach for his hand and try to take it but he pulls his hand away. Now the expression in his eyes is clear to me: he hates me.

"Just go, Charlotte. It would be better for everyone if you would just go away."

"But Hero, I love you! I-"

"Stop it, Charlotte! Wasn't I clear enough?! I don't want to see you anymore. I don't want to talk to you anymore. I thought I made that clear these past few weeks.

I look at him and I can tell he's serious. Lizzie has caught up with us and she's standing next to Jack with utter shock on her face. She can't believe this is happening.

"Hero," Jack says. "Hero just-"

"No, Jack! No! I tried to make her understand, I begged her to believe me and she didn't. All she did was find herself a new man and move on. Well, guess what, I have moved on too."

And with that final comment, Hero turns around and walks away. The crowd around us is silent. I don't know what to think, I don't know what to say. All I want to do is cry but I stay strong. No one here will see my tears. I straighten my shoulders and walk to the reception. Jack and Lizzie are right behind me. I tell the receptionist that I will be checking out and I head back to my room.

"Charlotte," Lizzie asks. "What are you doing?"

"You heard him, he wants me gone so I'm leaving."

"Charlotte, you can't leave!" Jack says. "You need to fight for him and you have a job."

"No, I tried and I failed. You saw the look on his face. He hates me."

"Charlotte, he's just hurting..."

"And what about your job?" Lizzie adds. "You can't walk away now!"

"I will call Greg when I'm at the airport. I can finish the call sheets from a distance and I don't need to be around anymore."

"Where will you go?"

"I have no idea."

Packing my stuff isn't very hard because I didn't bring a lot. I toss everything I own in my suitcase and put my laptop, iPad and passport in a bag. Lizzie and Jack don't try to convince me to stay anymore.

Outside on the porch I say goodbye to Jack, Lizzie, Isabella, Brody and Diego.

"Promise me you'll visit us soon, okay?" Lizzie whispers with tears in her eyes. She give me a hug.

"I will."

I say my goodbyes to Isabella, Brody and Diego. I promise I'll keep in touch and that we will make that vacation to Mexico, just as we planned. I'm sad I won't be able to see the end of our shoot. I'm sad I will miss the wrap party but this is for the best. I give my friends one last hug and get in my taxi.

"Where to, Miss?"

"The airport."

While driving away I know I made the right choice. I call Greg and explain that I had to leave. I promise to finish the call sheets and schedule and email them to everyone. Scott can take over my set duties. He isn't too happy about it but he trusts me when I tell him it's for the best.

At the airport I stare at the departures. Where will I go? Where is home?

(I want to thank my friends for the continuous support! Especially Jac and Lizzie because they allowed me to use our friendship and use their names! I hope you loved this second part of Abroad, I sure enjoyed writing it. I'm taking some time now to start writing the third part, 'Home'. I expect I will be able to start posting end of August or early September. If you want to keep following Charlotte and Hero's love story, please follow my account so you'll be updated as soon as 'Home' is available.

Thanks to every reader who took the time to read, like and comment. Each and every comment means the world to me and it's so humbling and fun to read your feelings and thoughts on the story.

Thank you! See ya soon!

V.)