Chapter 3

LEAH

The party seems LIT!
Also, the fact that nearly everyone from college seems to be here.
Including the super-popular people.
It's like going through Instagram in real life.

Next to me, Greg starts screaming, "Woohoo! Now, this is what I call a REAL PARTY!!!"

He grabs Tess's hand and pulls her towards the dance floor.
Tess isn't one for parties, but I see her giggling at Greg, easing into his grip.

I smile to myself, thinking of how good Greg is for Tess, and how she is always happy around him.

Tess has always been an introvert, thinking more than talking, preferring books to an actual company.
I have hardly seen her have fun, except for when she is alone, mostly reading, running or listening to music.

When she and Greg had met, they had instantly become best friends. I always knew there was more to their relationship, but Tess denied it.

Greg had been secretive too, but I'd managed to wriggle his feelings out. He was blushing the whole time, and I'd never seen anyone that shy.

"Ask her out, Greg. Tess wants it as much as you do." I'd told him.

Needless to say, they both were happier as a couple. All thanks to the Cupid, a.k.a me, Leah Sanders.

I'm grinning like an idiot at the thought, that I almost don't notice Andy next to me until he suddenly swears at his phone. 

I glance at him and he visibly relaxes, but his eyes look somewhat worried.

"My dad's calling me, Leah... He doesn't know that I'm partying. I'll be back, okay?" He says, in a cool yet careful voice.

I pause to observe his face. Then I nod. "Alright, I'll tell Greg," I say, and smile at him.

He smiles back, before disappearing into the crowd.

I pull out my phone so that I don't seem alone and lean against the wall, trying to blend into the surrounding.

However, I immediately regret looking at my phone, because my boss Helen had just messaged me.

Tomorrow @2:00 p.m. To make up for the shift you missed today.
Don't be late.

I groan, not wanting to be reminded of Betty's, the little bakery where I worked with Tess.

I didn't mind the work, but it was my boss Helen whom I hated.

She was a total bully, convincing me that I could never bake for life.
Thank god, my extraordinary icing skills make up for it, otherwise, I'd have been kicked out of Betty's long ago.

"What's wrong?" Tess asks as she approaches me, completely out of breath from all the dancing.

I show Tess the message, and her eyes light up excitedly. "Yay, more money!" She cheers.

Of course, Tess loves working at Betty's.
And it's not just the money, it's how she's naturally talented at baking.
And Helen loves her.

"Yay," I say unenthusiastically while pocketing my phone.
"Where's Greg?" I ask her, wanting to change the topic.

"He saw Andy leaving the party, so he went to search for him." Tess shrugs, and her eyes land on the bar. 
"Come, let's get a drink," She says, steering me by my shoulders towards the place.

The music pounds in my ears, the lights flash around making me feel dizzy with exhilaration.
Even if I hadn't consumed alcohol yet.

It almost makes me forget the breakup I went through earlier in the day.
Ohh right... That was today.

It doesn't help when, at that precise moment, I see Will. Talk of the devil... And he's here.

His hazel eyes review me for a second before he looks away like I was a total stranger.

I feel like I've been punched in the gut.

Tess seems to have seen Will too.
"Ohh no..." She says momentarily stopping in her tracks, before speeding up to the bar, dragging me with her.

"Leah, you need to try this punch, they say it's damn good", says Tess, trying to distract me but in vain.

She forces a cup of the liquid into my hands before downing a whole cup herself.

I take a sip and find myself instantly feeling better.
'I came here to forget Will', I remind myself.

Meanwhile, Tess is gulping down her second cup of punch with fervour.

I guess she's forgotten that she was not supposed to get drunk today.
She had promised to drive us home.

I'm about to point this out to her when we suddenly hear people counting.

"TEN!"
"Where is that coming from?" I shout to Tess, over the loud music, who shrugs, busy with her third cup of the punch.

"NINE!"
"Let's find out", I tell her, trying to see where the noise was coming from. Tess walks reluctantly, not wanting to leave the punch behind.

"EIGHT!"
I walk towards a huge crowd of people cheering.
I guess it's some sort of a dare.

"SEVEN!"
We move through the crowd, wanting to see what was happening at the front.

"SIX!"
We are almost at the clearing.
"What's going on?" I ask a guy near me.

"FIVE! "
"Adam here has to do a hundred push-ups under five minutes as a dare," explains the guy.
"We're counting down to his last ten."

"FOUR!"
I move my head to get a better view.
And then, I see him.
My heart skips a beat.

"THREE!"
My mouth goes dry.
I can't explain why, but at that moment, I felt like I would do anything to be with him.
I am drawn to him, like a sunflower to the sun.

"TWO!"
His muscles are ripped and taut, threatening to tear his T-shirt apart.
His blond hair is sticking up in spikes, sweat running down his chiselled face.
His brows are furrowed in concentration, as he does the last push-up for the day.

"ONE!"

The applause and hoots are deafening. The crowd carries him on their shoulders, as they shout his name. Adam White, the Hero of the moment.

I swallow the remaining punch as I stare at him, unable to peel my eyes off him
Feel my heart throbbing in my chest, my head pounding, my legs weak.

Knowing that I've finally found the guy for me.
ADAM WHITE.