Chapter 12

TESS

As we were nearing the end of lunch, Leah had simply changed my mood by talking about her own life.

In other circumstances, I find her stories a bit too far fetched, at most.
However, today, owing to my unusually bad
frame of mind, I began to find her stories annoying.

She explains how she again ran into Adam at the park. Of how they had watched the sunset while eating cupcakes.

"He'd actually wanted to feed me the cupcake, Tess! And I was stupid enough to not even notice that..." Leah rants, while flicking her hair behind her shoulder.

I didn't know eating a cupcake could get so romantic.
Or maybe Leah was just over exaggerating.

I definitely think she's over exaggerating.

"Anyway, he looked so hot, like damn, and it seemed like he was flirting... Maybe he does like me back..." Leah continues.

Of course, he would be flirting with her.
He literally doesn't know anything else.

To me, the guy is your typical all-American jock. Blond-haired, blue-eyed, an extremely hot hulk. One who is stupid enough to not realise he's playing with fire.

Leah's talking about how she really wanted to kiss him. How she's an idiot for missing the opportunity.

"Honestly, I'm glad you didn't. He's still a stranger, whom you've seen literally twice. How can you trust him?" I ask her, unable to find an ounce of rationality in her story.

I guess she's annoyed again.
"I'm not naive Tess!", she says angrily.
"I know he's a stranger. Do you think I try to run into him on purpose?"

Taking a deep breath, Leah says, "I just feel like, I don't know like he's more understanding than what you could possibly be?"

Insulting the other person is never the best way to win an argument.

Her words fall sharp in the ringing silence, and the anger is evident on my face.

"Tess, I didn't mean it...", she starts, but I brush off her lame attempt at an apology.

"I'm late for class," I tell her tersely, walking away.

I guess she's crying now.
When, in reality, it should be me.

*****

Once I'm away from her, I let out a breath.
Maybe I have bolted my anger out on her.
She had a right to be irritated with me, for I never learnt my lesson: 'To never advise her on her love life.'

Why do I care if she gets her heart broken multiple times?
She clearly doesn't.
She doesn't mind making the same mistake again.

I am annoyed with myself for caring too much.

I walk down the corridor, immersed in my thoughts. That's when I see a couple making out at their lockers.

It doesn't take long for me to figure out who it is, none other than the great Adam White himself. He's kissing his current girlfriend for the week, Elle Wilson.

Don't ask me how I know this; the girls in my class exchange the latest gossip like it's essential for life.

I see him smashing his lips against hers, looking like he was eating her. His hands roamed over her, making it illegal to even look at what they were doing.

I have to consciously stop myself from gagging at them. I try to leave the scene, but then they hear me.

Adam looks annoyed, then his eyes widen when he realizes it's me.

I look back at him, disgusted with his very presence. He's only becoming worse.
He tries to say something, but I walk away.
I feel his gaze on me as I leave.

Those memories resurface, and I fall back in time, thinking of everything that had happened.