Chapter 22

TESS

I've never imagined the fact that it could be hard to talk to Greg. I mean, he was my best friend.

We've been walking on the shady campus for the past few minutes. The tall trees provide ample amount of shade, making the place look like a serene forest. The wind blows on my face, loosening a few strands of my hair.
It has an almost calming effect on me.

But my mind is raging on the inside.

"Tess, I know you're mad at me..." Greg starts, but I cut him off.

"Greg, what's going on between Will and you?" I voice the first question that's been bothering me.

"Look, Will's gay. That's the real reason why he broke up with Leah." Greg says slowly.

"And why are you telling me that?" I ask, thinking of what Leah had said.

Was he actually gay?

Greg looks resigned. "Because I am gay too."
He throws me a careful glance, trying to assess my reaction.

I remain placid, trying to keep my emotions from spilling out.

"What do you mean?" I ask, barely able to stop myself from yelling.

"I realised that at the party. When I made out with Will." Greg replies rapidly, mumbling the last few words, as though hoping that I would miss the last part.

It didn't work though.

"So, you made out with Will?" I ask sternly, stressing on the word 'you'.

"Well, he wanted to find out if he was gay," Greg replies coolly.

Is this guy for real?
No one volunteers by kissing to help people find out if they were straight or not.

I raise my eyebrows at Greg. "And then you found out you were gay."

"Yes", Greg says shortly.

I take a deep breath. Why is he so casual about it? I've never seen Greg this way before. Is he alright?

Then I realise that if he doesn't care, why should I?

"So?" I question.

"He's been speaking to me for the past week, Tess. He's really understanding about it." Greg explains passionately.

"Yup, totally understanding. I heard him saying that he'd do anything to break us apart." I reply sarcastically.

"Yeah, he's funny sometimes." Greg smiles.

"Really? Because it didn't look like he was joking." Now, I am annoyed with Greg.

That's how casual our relationship was to him?
That's how casual I was to him?

"He thinks I'm just dating you. He doesn't know that you're my best friend too." Greg answers.

From his girlfriend, I'm back to being his best friend?

I'm losing Greg.

Tears well up in my eyes. This is horrible. Then the realisation hits me.

I'm not 'losing' Greg. I've already lost him.

Greg doesn't notice me, "He's jealous of me being with you. But he shouldn't be. There's no comparison-"

I don't let him finish. I start yelling.

"Oh, so now it's ME in the middle of two of you huh? Of course, you LOVE him, Greg. So much that you meet up with him in secret and lie to me about it!" I scream.

"No Tess, what are you-"

"No Greg, you listen! Do you think I haven't noticed that you've changed so much in the past week? IF YOU DON'T LOVE ME, JUST BREAK UP WITH ME ALREADY!"

Greg's jaw drops. I don't care.

"IN FACT, I'M BREAKING UP RIGHT NOW."

"NO TESS, YOU-", Greg interrupts, but I shout harder, ignoring him.

"BYE GREG, SAY HI TO YOUR BOYFRIEND FOR ME!"

I find myself storming away, as I hear him running and calling out to me.

"NO TESS! YOU'VE GOT IT ALL WRONG! PLEASE COME BACK!"

At some point, Greg stumbles and falls to the ground. I hear his yells faintly as I head inside the building again.

Blood pounds in my ears, making me feel nauseous. Bile rises up my throat when I rush into the nearest washroom.
My barely eaten lunch makes an appearance, which sends another wave of nausea.

I feel light-headed.

As I faint, I hear footsteps, followed by a scream.

*****
I open my eyes praying that it was all a dream.

Then I see the nurse, and I know it's not.

"You fainted Teresa," the nurse replies. I notice that she's checking my blood pressure.

I've just broken up with Greg. Oh my God, I actually broke up with him.

Something I couldn't even imagine in my wildest dreams.

"Your friend Penelope found you in the washroom." The nurse speaks again.

I glance to see Penelope sitting nearby.

"Tess, are you fine?" She asks, looking nervous.

"Yes", I manage to blurt out.

"You didn't eat breakfast did you?" Asks the nurse. "You guys don't realise how essential breakfast is for the day." She continues complaining.

Penelope looks at me. I think she saw my shouting match with Greg.

"Are you really alright, Tess?" She repeats. "I saw you arguing with Greg."

So now EVERYONE knows.

"Yeah," I reply. I sit up in the bed, my mind racing. Finally, I speak.

"Do you know a place where I can move in?" I ask her hesitantly.

Somehow, I don't want to move back in with Leah, not after what had happened.
Leah's going to want me to talk to Greg again. She doesn't know how he's been cheating on me.

Yes, Greg meeting up with Will, that is classified as cheating.

"Yup, my roommate just moved away," replies Penelope. "I'm free."

I smile gratefully at her.

Maybe this was all for good.