Chapter 13

LEAH

It's late-night when I'm back to my apartment.

Helen had been frantic as she had gotten an order of five hundred cookies for her cookie sale, so I had to help out in baking as well, apart from my usual cupcake icing.

Tess was engrossed in her work and avoided me altogether. And whenever I tried to apologise, she gave me a deaf ear.
Sometimes she can be so stubborn.

I head into the lift and press the 5th-floor button, as that's where my apartment was.

My dad had wanted to buy the apartment for me, but I told him that I'd rather pay the rent, like any other student.

Because once college was over, I didn't see myself staying here anymore. I wanted to travel the world and learn new things.
I wanted to be free from normal life, travelling, exploring, experiencing.

Or at least, something that would actually help me to grow up and not cry for everything.

I head out of the lift and walk slowly to my house. I think of how I had to do the laundry and also the dishes. I'd been piling up on housework for the past few days, and I couldn't delay it anymore.

It was easier with Tess to help me. Now I had to do it all by myself.

Honestly, I regret the fact that Tess moved in with Greg. It made me realise that apart from her, I had very few friends.

Not that I was an introvert or anything, but it's just that I'm nice to everyone.
And people think that those who are nice are actually fake.

Well, this was one thing I learnt wrong. Being indifferent makes people want to be friends with you.
I wish I'd gone to high-school so I could have learnt about not caring anymore.

Being homeschooled just made me a 20-year-old baby.

As I'm unlocking my door, I see Greyes on the opposite side, talking to someone on her phone.

Surprisingly, when she sees me, she waves at me.

Maybe being nice does get you friends.

I wave back at her.

Greyes ends the phone call and calls out. "Hey! You just came back from Betty's?"

"Yup," I nod, as I remove the key from the lock. "How are you?" I add, wanting to fill the silence.

Greyes face flickers with some unknown emotion, and then again it's as haughty as ever. Her voice hoarse, she replies, "I'm good."

We stand there awkwardly smiling, not knowing how to carry on this conversation.

She then glances at her watch, "I have to go, I'm going to be late..." She says.
"See you around Leah!"

"Bye, Greyes!" I call out.

She smiles at me as she enters the lift.

I still think Tess is wrong for judging her.
I mean, she hasn't done anything to me yet.

I enter my apartment and a wave of comfort washes through me.
No matter how bad my day seemed to be, relaxing on my armchair with a cup of coffee, gave me the peace I needed.

Especially today, when mom told me that she had some time to Skype me.

I had been looking forward to it for the whole day.

My parents loved me but loved their position more. Work always came first, family next.

The family business, DSC, that had been started by my grandfather is being continued by my father and uncle. I guess my cousin Ben is next in line, leaving me free to do whatever I wanted.

Not that I want to head the company anyway. It is known for home supplies and stuff.
Which is extremely boring for me.

I open my laptop and peer into the screen. My mom's there, but she's on the phone.
I see that her hair is greyer than what I had remembered, her wrinkles are more prominent, her face exhausted.

Nevertheless, when she sees me, her whole lighting up, making her look 10 years younger.

She gesticulates that she needs a few more minutes on her call. I nod to her, sipping my coffee and waiting.

She seems to be done after a few minutes.

"My dear Leah!", she exclaims, "How is my sweetheart?"

"I'm fine mom," I shrug nonchalantly.
"How are you? Are you stressing yourself too much?"

My mother looks guilty. I bet she has been putting a lot on her plate.
She is a perfectionist.
Unlike me.

"I'm fine too. Your father needs to go to Tokyo next week, so I have to look after the company. I'm just reviewing my schedule."
She says finally.

That's when her secretary calls her again.
"Yes Martha, I'm coming in five minutes."

She puts down the phone and looks at me sadly, "Sweety, how about next week?
I really need to leave now, I have an unprecedented meeting."

She rolls her eyes, annoyed at how she didn't have time to talk to me.

"Alright mom", I tell her, keeping my voice cheerful.
"Bye, my lovely Leah", says my mom, giving me a flying kiss.

I smile back at her until she switches off her video.

Then I start bawling like a baby.

I miss my parents so much. I wish I had the kind of parents, who put their family before everything. Who felt that love was more important than anything in the world.

I wish I'd been a normal girl.
Not Leah Sanders. For whom no one had time for.

I'm tired of being me.
So tired, that I would give anything to be free.