Chapter 45

TESS

"And then, the police barged in, like BAM! They already handcuffed Mr Yale. Damn, you should have seen his face!" Josh describes.

"He kept babbling at them, blaming it on Helen, but of course the police knew better," Cedric says.

"Is Helen fine?" I ask. "She didn't mind the fact that her brother had been arrested?"

"Nope. On the contrary, she commended us for doing a good job." Cedric says proudly.

"Yeah, and she gave us the bugged cupcakes too. She's actually sweet." Josh says.

"Well, I'm the one who baked the cupcakes, so I need more credit..." I start, but Cedric cuts me off.

"Tess, they were amazing. We finished within five minutes."

I smile at them.

"How long is Mr Yale going to be in prison?" I ask.

"Well, he's filed a case, and he has a pretty good lawyer..." Josh starts.

"However, he's clearly guilty of the crime. So I'd say at least another three years." Cedric says.

My phone buzzes, and I see that Leah has messaged me, "Where are you?"

"Coming with a surprise." I type back.

Five minutes later, Cedric, Josh and I enter Leah's ward. Leah squeals with delight at the sight of them.

"Wow, you guys! It's so good to see you!" Leah cheers.

Josh gives her a bear hug, while Cedric speaks, his tone is sardonic.

"Well Leah, I told you to be careful of other people murdering you... I guess I forgot that you could kill yourself too."

Leah sticks her tongue out at him. "Yeah, didn't you know that High Leah is Psyche Leah!"

I roll my eyes at her statement. What a kid!

Then Leah's eyes fall on Josh's pocket. "Did you bring me a present, Joshie? Oh, you're the sweetest cousin ever!"

Josh and Cedric exchange uncomfortable glances.

"What? Is it not a present?" Leah asks, looking from Josh to Cedric.

Josh and Cedric pull their guns out of their pockets and Leah gasps.

"They don't have bullets," Josh says, as though that made it better. Cedric gives me an exasperated look.

"Look, we have a huge story to tell you." I start.

"Leah, you remember how we discussed who could have murdered Ben? Josh and I were still on that, even after you left." Cedric says.

"We analysed Mr Yale, and found out that his sister was Helen Yale," Josh mentions.

"Wait, Helen Yale is my boss at Betty's," Leah remarks.

"Yup, it's her. I saw Mr Yale visit her, the day Ben was murdered." I tell Leah.

She looks shocked. "I worked for the enemy! How did I not know?" She exclaims.

"This is why you need to leave Leah world once in a while," I mumble.

"Okay, that's not the point. The point is that when Josh told me that you too were in the hospital, I knew that we had to do something about Mr Yale." Cedric affirms.

"So we began to spy on him and Helen. I used to visit Betty's regularly. That's how I learnt that Tess was your friend." Josh says.

"Once Cedric and Josh told me of the whole deal, I agreed to help them. I told them that Helen was soon going to visit her brother, Mr Yale." I answer.

Leah looks at us. "Guys, this sounds like a movie! What happened next?"

"Accordingly, Josh and I gave her a bugging device, to attach on the box of cupcakes. Meanwhile, we approached the police with the evidence we already had." Cedric replies.

"As we had guessed, Mr Yale was going on about how he had murdered Ben, and wanted to murder us too," Josh says.

"In fact, he sold his mansion, so that he could murder you, Leah." Cedric points out. "Fortunately, he had been scammed by the mafia gang."

"Yeah, he said something about the son killing his father," Josh says, and Leah looks up suddenly.

"Anyway, the police heard his conversation with Helen, while Cedric and Josh approached Mr Yale, with their guns. The police arrived shortly and Mr Yale was arrested!" I end happily.

Leah smiles, but she appears to be deep in thought.

"What's wrong?" Josh asks Leah.

She looks at me, "I think that the head of the mafia gang is Andy's father. And that Andy had killed his father."

I gawp at Leah. "You could be right, the other day, Greg had said that Andy's father had died," I note.

"Guys, we need to know the context too" Josh wails.

"Yeah, maybe that's why he's disappeared. Greyes told me once that Andy led a double life." Leah continues, ignoring Josh.

"Now it makes sense of why he gave you the fake poison... He was actually trying to save your life!" I conclude.

"Yeah, that makes sense. I'm so grateful to him, It could've gone wrong in many ways." Leah sighs.
I know that look.

I may have wanted Leah and Andy to date, but that was such a long time ago.

"Um, Greyes and Andy are dating," I mention it quickly.

"I know, Tess. I'm the one who even told you that." Leah says, looking ruffled.

Josh bursts out laughing. "Wow, Leah you haven't changed a bit!"

"Yes, I have," Leah snaps at him.

"No, you haven't!" Josh answers back.

"What did our parents say about arresting Mr Yale? They seemed convinced that Ben had suicided." Leah asks Josh suddenly, probably hoping to change the topic.

"They didn't want to directly accuse Mr Yale, but nevertheless they are satisfied that we did," Josh claims.
"They finally feel like I am capable to head DSC."

"So they don't want me to head the company?" Leah questions eagerly.

"Nope, you don't have to." Josh smiles at her.

Leah and Josh talk about all their family and DSC, while Cedric walks near the window. I follow him.

"Why is this locked?" He asks.

"It triggers her memories," I answer, looking at Leah.

"Did she really imagine a whole relationship?" Cedric whispers to me.

I describe the relationship Leah had had with Adam in her head.

"Woah, that's a really scary idea. I mean, we all crave love, but what if we don't realise that our wanting could mess up the mind?" Cedric has a faraway glance.

He's one of those silent thinkers, my mind prompts.
I try to ignore the thought, but it pops up stubbornly.

"By the way," Cedric speaks finally, "I still don't have your number, Tess."

I flip my head in surprise to see him. He gives me a steady look.

"Sure, here", I take his phone and dial my number.

"Thanks", He says and looks out of the window, then realises that it's closed.

I turn to see Leah and Josh observing us with identical grins.

I sigh. Here we go again.