Chapter 47

TESS

I make Leah visit Betty's once again before we leave for the summer.

Leah is going to stay with her parents for the whole duration since they have finally realised that they should spend more time with her.
"Out jobs can wait," they had said. "But we think Leah's done enough of that."

Meanwhile, I am going to stay with my dad. He is going to move into the new apartment and I thought I'd help him. I think this is the longest duration I am going to spend with him after my mom had died.

When we reach Betty's, we see Helen at the counter, talking happily to her customers as usual. She waves at us and gestures towards the kitchen.

When we reach the kitchen, Annette and Tony rush to give Leah a hug.

"It's been so long, Leah! How are you?" Annette says brightly.

Meanwhile, Tony grabs some cupcakes that he was icing, "Look at this, Leah! They don't look half as good as yours!"

Leah talks animatedly to them when Helen walks inside the kitchen.
"Leah, it's so good to see you!" She exclaims.

Leah's smile falters. Annette and Tony go back to their work stations.

"Look," Helen starts in a low voice. "I am extremely sorry for what my brother did. For what it's worth, I did my best to stop him."

Leah looks hesitant and doesn't say a word. I guess it's her way of making Helen payback for all that she had done to Leah.
Honestly, I think Leah's overdoing it a bit. I mean, Helen is still her boss.

"I have no hard feelings against you or your family, Leah." She says. "Even though I am going to be the new Head of YBC, it doesn't change a thing."

I stare at Helen in shock.

"You're the new Head of YBC?" Leah questions.

"Yes," Helen says, fighting a smile. I feel like she's wanted the position for a long time.

"My father agreed to make me the Head. I still have to learn about the company, and that might take around three months, " Helen states.

"But, what about Betty's?" I ask her.

Helen looks from me to Leah, "I thought you girls could take over."

My jaw drops. Leah looks equally shocked.

"We are hardly as good as you!" I protest. "We still have a lot to learn from you."

Helen nods her head. "Yes, that's why I am going to teach you everything I know. And I will review your skills from time to time."

Leah and I still look unconvinced.
"I'm horrible at baking," Leah mumbles.

"No, Leah," Helen says reassuringly. "You have shown tremendous improvement in the past few months. I know that you are a good pastry chef."

Leah gapes at her.

"So, you are going to sell Betty's?" I ask.

"Not for now, Tess. When you girls have gotten the hang of this, I'll sell it to you." Helen says.

"You're selling it to us?" We ask together.

"Yes... Annette will resign in a month since she's graduating. Tony has gotten a chance to work under Chef Lawrence, so he's leaving too." Helen explains.

"So you are giving it to us because you don't have a choice?" Leah narrows her eyes.

"No! My niece wanted to take over. However, she only sees it as another business. She won't run Betty's the way it is." Helen tells us.

"I am giving it to you because I want to. However, if you don't want to take over, I understand. I'm not forcing you two into this..."

"No, no Helen...We want to take over." Leah answers.
I nod earnestly. "It's an honour to be chosen for this."

Helen's grin widens. "I understand that you girls still have your college work and stuff..."

"We'll do it!" Leah and I cheer.

"Then it's settled. We can start training as soon as you guys come back from your holidays." Helen announces.

We certainly do have a lot to look forward to.

*****

Leah drags me to the park, where she used to hallucinate about Adam. She walks around fondly, like a child in a toy store.

She points to a bench. "This is my favourite spot."

We sit on the park bench and open our complimentary box of cupcakes. Leah digs into her cupcake, while I observe her.

I pick up my cupcake and wave it at her face, "Leah, this is no hallucination. I am not Adam White."

Leah rolls her eyes. I realise that it's a habit she's picked up from me.

We sit in the park, enjoying the calm atmosphere.

"You were right about him, though," Leah says. "I still can't believe that Adam assaulted you like that, Tess. And to think that I made excuses for him..."

"He has changed now," I told her. "He's still mean, but atleast he's given up his player ways..."

Leah picks up another cupcake.
"Even then, Tess. Imagine me actually dating him. It would have been terrible."

"Well, at least now you understand the trauma that I had been going through," I tell her exasperated.

We stay silent for a while, observing the peaceful atmosphere and finishing the remaining of the cupcakes.

"You were right about Greyes too, you know... " Leah begins.

She explains to me about Greyes's letter to her, and how Greyes had changed.

"Ha! I knew that all she wanted with you was to sell drugs... I cheer triumphantly.

"Although, now she's giving up drugs because of me!" Leah counters.

"About that, I still can't believe that she's turned into a new leaf. I'm pretty sure she told you this so that you don't do drugs again." I state and continue.
"I know Greyes, drug dealing in her life. Probably she'll rope Andy into her business too."

Leah scoffs at me, "You don't believe that people can change, do you?"

I take a deep breath before replying, "Well, you've changed, Leah. You used to be obsessed about finding a boyfriend. Now, you hardly seem to care about it."

Leah nods, "I know Tess. I've realised that relationships aren't meant to be perfect. That the only thing that should be perfect about a relationship is love for each other."

"Wow, Leah! When did you become such a pro?" I ask her in surprise.

Leah shrugs. "I still have a lot to learn."

"Yeah, me too," I add.

The sky has lost the last of its orange clouds, now covered with a deep blue hue dotted faintly with stars.

"It all started at the party, right? The thing with Adam, Greg and Will and me... " I trail away.

"Yeah, that's where it all began," Leah replies.

"Who knew one party could change our lives this much..." I say.

Leah just laughs.

And then, just like that, we get up and walk away, into the last of the fading sunset.