Chapter 9

LEAH

I am at the park, watching the sunset. I left Betty's a while ago, after icing all the cupcakes. That's the only job Helen actually trusts me with.

My abysmal baking skills and lack of interest make me a terrible baker. Ever since I baked my famous rock hard brownies, Helen's made sure to not let me anywhere near anything else.

However, Helen seemed to be in a good mood today, so I managed to slip away early.

Meanwhile, Tess is still working. She tries to do more work, hoping that she could earn more. But Helen's crafty, knowing exactly how to get her work done, without paying Tess what she's supposed to.

Tess never sees this side of Helen, rather blaming herself for not working enough.

And she thinks I'm naive.

I watch the sun sinking slowly down the horizon, feeling the last few of the warm rays on my face.

The park is encased in orange light, making the place ethereal.

"Hey Leah... ", says a deep voice.

I know who it is without even looking.

"Hi Adam," I say, casually. He doesn't need to know how nervous he makes me. I can't give him that satisfaction.

His stare is tangible.

I lift my eyes to him, finally deciding to look at him. His blond hair is windswept and his muscles are hidden beneath a hoodie.
This disappoints me because I was hoping to see his strong arms...

Oh Wow, Leah, you sound like a stalker...

Adam's breathless, looking like he's just come from a long run.
He probably has.

"Have you been running?" I ask him.

"Yup. Just finished", he answers.

He sits next to me, but not too close. The park bench is wide enough for at least another person.

"So?" he asks, a cute dimple popping on his left cheek.
"So?" I mimic him, which makes him laugh.
I smile shyly at him.

"I come here every day, yet I have never seen you here before", he says, once he's done with laughing.
I think he's trying to initiate conversation.

Of course, he is you idiot, Leah. Talk to him!

I catch on to it like a lifeline. "I - yeah, I hardly have the time."

"Why?", he asks, his eyebrows quirking upwards. He brings out his water bottle from his bag and takes a sip of water.

"I work at Betty's most of the time. I am something like an expert in icing", I tell him, hoping to impress.

It's worked because he raises his eyebrows, seemingly astonished.
"Wow. I've seen your cupcakes. You have some mad icing skills."

I look at the ground, trying to hide my blush. It's comparatively dark now, so it doesn't matter.

That's when I see my bag. I had some cupcakes from Betty's in them.
I pick it up, and turn towards Adam, "I have a few cupcakes here. Want some?" I ask him, smiling sweetly.

"Yeah!" He says with fervour, but then his face falls. "I'm on a diet though", he says, in a low voice.

"For me, Adam?", I ask, cooing his name.
Somehow, I am such a coquette when it comes to him.
I really can't stop myself from flirting.

I lift the cupcake to his mouth, then catch myself.
Was I actually feeding him the cupcake?

Wow, it's like I don't even know what I'm doing anymore.
When it comes to Adam, I forget everything.

Surprisingly, Adam gives me a half-smile, before biting into it.
What even...

I stare at him in shock, while he happily chewed on the cupcakes.

"It's so good", he mumbles, licking the icing off his lips. "And it is a unicorn cupcake too."
I find myself drawn to his perfect lips...

Okay, Leah, that's enough staring.

"Aren't you eating?" Adam asks as he leans to take another bite of the cupcake.
He's enjoying this, as evident from his typical grin.

I shrug, as he takes the cupcake from my hand.

Well, then...

Honestly, me feeding him the cupcake had been awkward. I understand that it's too soon to do that.

Why do I always act on impulse? Especially when I'm around him?

Shaking my head, I proceed to take another cupcake from the box, only to find that Adam hasn't moved a muscle.

"What..." He trails away, his face bright red for some reason. He's still holding the cupcake in the air.

I look at him in confusion.
"You wanted me to eat the cupcakes too," I reply, still clueless.

"Yes," He shakes his head, bashful as he turns away from me. Then with a nonchalant shrug, he sighs. "Nevermind."

His broad shoulders are slumped, which heighten my confusion.

"No, tell me," I speak up. "What is it?"

He looks hesitant as though thinking of what he should say. I notice that he's still holding the cupcake in the same position.

Then it clicks.

"Were you doing it to feed me?" I ask excitedly.
At the same time, he replies embarrassed, "I was going to feed you the cupcake!"

Ohh.

Ohh...

Wow, this is super awkward.
I find my cheeks heating up at the thought of what he was about to do.

Nonetheless, I find myself badly wanting to be in the scenario.

Adam turns his head away, probably too embarrassed to see me.

"Okay, go ahead Adam," I say, my voice wavering with nervousness.

Adam turns to see me, looking stunned.
Then he gives me the cute boyish half-smile that got me every time.

"Here goes," He says as he brings cupcake to my lips, painfully slow, teasingly delaying it on purpose.
Is he interested in me?

He definitely seems to be.
I feel my cheeks heat up, as I open my mouth.

I take a small bite off the cupcake, at the exact place where he'd bitten before.

He exhales, his sugary breath fanning over my face. His face is inches from mine, his eyes intense.

"It's really good, right?", he says carefully, his voice low.

I nod my head, unable to take my eyes off his.

There's too little space between us, I realise.
I want to close it, yet an unknown fear holds me back.

I am staring at him, unable to move my eyes from his face. He stares back at me, not leaving my gaze once. The tension is palpable.

We spend the rest of the evening lost in each other's eyes.