Chapter 41

ANDY

It's close to dawn.

I have been driving the whole night, to reach the old ruins where I am now. The paint peels off the walls, and there's a musty smell about the place, but otherwise, it's as good as any other house. They say that it's been possessed by spirits, but I'm not one to fall for those stories.

It keeps me safe.
It keeps others away.
It is a perfect place to hide.

I place the sports bag inside an old grandfather clock, hoping it would be a safe place. It's filled with money, all the hard cash I could ever lay my hands on before I went into hiding.

Only one person knew about this place.
My dad.

I think of him and immediately begin to panic. I pull out a cigarette and light it hurriedly, desperately wanting that rush of calmness it always brought.

I had to stay calm.

However, it was hard to, especially after what I'd done.

I take a puff of the cigarette, as the events of the day replay in my mind.

My father and I were face to face, waiting for the other to speak up first. His face was contorted with rage, his eyes drawn low. His fingers kept flexing and unflexing, as though he was stopping himself from throwing a punch at me.

I knew that he'd found out. It was up to me to start the conversation.

"Father, Leah..."

"Is alive", He continues, " Yeah, I know what you've done."

He looks directly at me, and though his eyes look angry, he also seems sad, like this was something that he'd not expected me to do.

I hang my head in shame. "I'm sorry father, it's just - just that I've never killed a person, you know."

His eyes soften at the gesture. "When will you grow up, Andrew?" He speaks, with only a slight undertone of annoyance.

"I'll murder her, I'll go to the hospital now and smother her face under a pillow, I'll poison her-" I start angrily.

"No need." My dad cuts me off. "The police have been alerted, she's under tight security."

I feel like a huge burden has been lifted off my chest. Apparently Leah's safe now. Of course, I frown at my dad and throw in a few swear words about how much I wanted her to be dead.

My dad's face is expressionless."I don't think murdering Leah is going to solve my problem."

I snap my head up. I hadn't expected this.

In the blink of an eye, my dad sweeps his gun out and aims at my heart.

Adrenalin and years of training makes me pull out my gun and shoot him thrice, right on his heart.
My father lets out a bloody wail as he falls to the ground, his released bullet barely grazing my left arm since I'd moved away right in time.

"You-you-", my dad let's out, struggling to find a perfect word for what I'd done to him.

I pocket my gun and slowly walk over to his crumpled body on the ground. Crouching beside him, near his face, I speak out the words I'd wanted to tell him for years.

"Die, father. Its the only way to stop you and your atrocities. Let the whole gang be destroyed with you."

"You-," He breathes, "Did... this... on purpose?"