Chapter 44

HELEN

I am going to meet my brother today.
Who's also the current head of YBC, John Yale.

He told me to meet with him at his new house since he sold his old one.
His previous mansion was surrounded by lush gardens and water fountains, complete with three swimming pools and a golf course.
I hate to think of how much grander would the new one be.

Don't get me wrong, I am not jealous of my brother. When my father and his brother, who were the Yale brothers had retired from the company, they had already decided to give it to John.

I wasn't even considered for the job. I could have headed it if I had asked, but I chose to be a pastry chef instead. Back then, I wasn't interested in the company.

Although, the fact that my brother not only didn't know how to head the company, he also grew jealous of DSC on a personal level.

We went to the same high-school as the current heads of DSC, and I'd say that it wasn't a pretty picture.

The fact that they involved themselves in wrestling matches was pathetic. It's even more pathetic when John lost every single time. I'd be the one to fix his bleeding wounds.

Of course, none of the Heads have such an attitude towards him anymore, In fact, they are so busy with their work to remember trivial things like this.
John, on the other hand, remembers everything.

"I will get them back for all of it," He used to say then.
He says it even now, after almost 30 years.

When I reach the address of his new home, I am confused. Instead of a large mansion with sweeping lawns, I see an apartment.

I cross-check with the security. The address my brother gave is indeed right.

I call him, unable to believe that he lived in an apartment.

"Yes, the address is correct. Didn't you know that the studio apartment is the latest trend?" John scoffs over the phone.

I make my way inside, carrying a box of cupcakes and find him standing at the door of his apartment.

"Welcome, Helen. This is my new place," My brother says with a hint of pride in his voice.
He gestures around the simple apartment, which is nothing compared to his grand mansion.

I stare at him, as though he's mad.

"Why did you sell your mansion?" I question. "You could have bought a studio apartment too, you have the money."

My brother's smile falters.

"You know nothing, Helen. You know nothing of the latest trends in lifestyle choices." He says, his voice haughty.

"I know that you sold your beach mansion so that you could kill Ben Sanders." I point out, but he cuts me off.

"And Ben Sanders is dead. That's money put to a good cause." He says, nodding his head pompously.

I remember the day when he came to Betty's, right after his men had murdered Ben. He'd looked like a mad man, jubilant that he had finished off the next successor of DSC.

"You could have killed the current heads if you hate them that much. They are about to retire anyway. " I'd said.

"I want them to suffer in the loss of their dear children. I want them to mourn for their whole lives!" He had said, his face twisted with vengeance.

Over the years, I feel like he's growing even more stupid. He divorced his wife when she didn't agree with his schemes.
He didn't talk to me for three years when I had pointed out a flaw in his marketing strategy.