Apple Tarts Anyone?

Sometime during the night, I must have fallen asleep. I woke up to light pounding on my door. I stood up and open the door only slightly. It was Rubio, "Good morning."

"Good morning," I said back

"Today I am at your disposal. We might have some trouble so, you might feel eyes on you. That is just Percival watching our backs." Rubio pulled someone into my view.

"Hello."

I slightly lowered my head to him. "I will get dressed and meet you downstairs," I said before closing the door.

I put on a new dress I had packed. It was a deep green with a brown belt. I left my sister's cloak on the bed. I picked up my basket, Merlin had sent with me. I braided my hair back, then I tied the laces of my boots on. Stood up and walked down the stairs.

Percival and Rubio stood by a table. It felt like Bedivere had already started making more bows because I could feel my dress starting to stick to me.

"You boys ready?" I ask them.

They nodded, Rubio and I exited the shop from the front door and we were off.

As soon as we left, I felt Rubio was off. "Is there something wrong boy?"

"Um, no. I just ugh. I never got your name."

"Bedivere didn't tell you who I am?" We walked through a crowd as we talked. I almost lost him, but I felt a hand on my shoulder leading me through the sea of people.

"I know you were sent by Mer-" I hit him in the gut. "Sent by someone important to help us."

I did not ask Merlin if I could tell these people who I was. I thought Bedivere would have told them, I was as valuable to them as the Born King was.

"Just call me Scarlett. It's better you don't know my real name for the moment." I whispered to him.

"Alright."

As we past through another crowd, I smelled a bakery. "Can we stop in there?" I pointed to where I hoped the smell was coming from.

I didn't hear him answer but I was soon guided inside the bakery. I saw who I assumed the baker was and asked if he had made any apple tarts.

"Yes! I have a fresh batch. How many would you like?"

"Ptss! Rubio! Do you think Percival likes apple tarts?" I whispered to him.

"What?"

The sounds from outside trickled into the bakery. I did not want to shout to Rubio, so I showed the Baker six fingers. If I gave one to Rubio and one to Percival. I could eat one on the way back tonight and my sister could have two. Merlin might want one too.

The Baker, neatly and gently handed me to tarts. I put them in my basket, paid him, and waved goodbye. Rubio put his hand back on my shoulder as we ventured back into the crowds. We stopped at a couple more shops along the way, by my request.

The basket was getting full, at which Rubio offered to carry it. I could feel the sweat dripping down my shoulder as Rubio's hand has been placed in the same spot of hours. He asked around a couple of people, whom he trusted I think. I couldn't hear what was asked, but they all shook their heads.

"Alright, if you see or hear him, let me know." Rubio pulled me into a nearby ally.

"Everyone we have talked to has said there no word on the Born King today."

"What does that mean?" I asked, anxious, and also confused.

"He might have gotten into some trouble and is hiding. He might not even be in the city. I'm sorry."

I could physically feel my shoulders drop, but I could cry on the way home. I put on a smile for Rubio, "That's alright. I will just have to make another trip to see you and Percy again."

"We would like that. Now, let's get you back."

For the last time today, Rubio placed his hand on my shoulder. Although it seemed it wasn't on there tight enough because we soon got separated. I felt someone pull my arm harshly back into the ally.

"Scarlett! Scarlett!"

"Rubio! Over here!" I screamed so loud my voice cracked.

"Hush girl!" I heard from behind me. The person holding my arm pushed me against a brick wall. He was surrounded by two other people dressed in all black armor. The one who pulled me suddenly pulled a knife to my throat. "Is this the one?"

"That's the one I saw in the bakery. She stole a loaf of bread."

"I think you have me confused. I brought apple tarts from the Baker." After I said that, I wished I hadn't. I felt a sharp sting on my left cheek.

"Did I say you could talk thief?!"

"If you just let me find my friend, he will tell yo-" Another slap.

I did not have time to explain myself again because the same man that slapped me, hit me in the stomach. The other two did the same thing, two or three slaps each. One even slashed my dress, the blade tearing into my skin.

Merlin taught me, people would wanna hurt me for what I am. Though these BlackLegs had no idea who I was or what I was capable of. Merlin taught me to hold in the screams when people torture me. I would not give these animals what they wanted. Which was to have power over me.

So when they were about to start hitting me again, I grabbed one of the BlackLegs swords from his hip. I pointed it at them and managed the stab two of them. They all ran off after that and I sunk against the wall of the dark ally.

I did not know where I was in the city, nor how to get back to Rubio and Bedivere. I do not even think Percival knows where I am.

I groaned as I tried to put pressure on my cut hand.

"Get up. It is not difficult." I said to myself.

"Hey!" I heard a voice shout, I turned my head a saw a little boy running towards me.

"Are you alright? I saw you fighting those BlackLegs!"

"I am alright." I winced when I used my bad hand again.

"Here give me your hand." With the help of the little boy, I was standing up again.

"Are you in trouble? I can take you to my boss, he could help you." He was so eager and talking fast.

"Thank you. I am alright."

"He won't hurt ya. I promise." I looked out to the street, not knowing my way around. I turned to the little boy again.

"Do you think he could help me get back home?"

"Course. C'mon follow me."

"What's your name?"

"Blue. Whas yours?"

"Scarlett."