The Darklands

"Salem? You need to wake up." I hear.

"What is it?" I opened my eyes to see I was lying in a bed. "What happened?"

"Arthur touched the sword with both hands."

My mouth made an 'O'. I heard footsteps approaching as I pulled the covers off of my and sat on the edge of the bed.

"You know what we have to do now." She said to whomever just walked in.

"In order for him to control Excalibur, he needs to go to the Darklands." I said

"That's not happening." I heard Bedivere's deep voice.

"He needs to take the sword to the tower." I explain.

"Give me another way."

"There's no other way. And he has to go alone." My sister turned to me.

"No way. I have to go with him."

"He can't survive the Darklands alone."

"He could die if I don't go with him. I'm going." I state, starting to grab my things and throw them in a bag, my back to my sister.

"You don't want all of him to survive. That's the point. You have to break his old self completely. Wear him down. What has Merlin taught you? You want him to think big?"

I stop in my tracks, "Give him something big to think about."

"You're playing with fire, Mage. And I'm not killing the king before he's even become one. "

"This is what he needs, Bedivere. Trust me, I'm the one in his head. If he dies though, I don't know if I can take on Vortigern alone." I say to them. "The responsibility of the sword than falls to me."

"No one is going to die sister. I will keep him alive for you."

"I must find him before you leave."

I left the two of them to talk alone. As I pass the people I ask if they have seen Arthur, they all point to the kitchen. I find him talking to Goosefat, Rubio and Percy. I make my presence known by coughing.

"Can I talk to him alone?" I ask, looking directly at Arthur. All the males saying 'Yup', while grabbing their plates of food, and leaving us alone.

"I know you have so many questions. I will answer all of them when you come back to me safe and sound. I need you."

"Darling, what are you going on about?"

"My sister, The Mage, and Bedivere are taking you to the Darklands, I can't go with you. So, just survive. For me."

"It is going to have to take a lot more than that to kill me ok? Come here, Darling."

I sit next to him and he puts his arms around and gives me a kiss on my head. And I sat there in his arms until he left. I soaked every freckle and scar in. His hands gently stroked my hair, as I lay my head on his chest.

"Darling?" His voice rumbled.

"Hmm." I could fall asleep to his heartbeat.

"You know I love you right? I will do everything to get back to you."

"I love you too Arthur, I will never abandon you. Even though you annoy my sister beyond reason." I laugh.

"Well, that's because she doesn't know me. However, I think she knows you're my weakness. And I'm pretty sure, your hers too."