Stay Away

I made a fire that night after I led whoever Arthur sent to follow me around, towards a bat cave. I tapped into one of their minds and watched Stick and Rubio runoff. Quite a sight to see.

I grabbed some of the snacks I brought, and quietly ate them while soaking in the sunset.

I thought again about what my sister had said. How could she say that? She didn't know Arthur as I did, and I can imagine them now. Yelling back and forth, saying that I need to be protected, I'm delicate. That's most likely the only thing they can agree on.

I tried taking deep breathes to calm myself down, before I felt a presence sit down.

"What are you doing here?" My eyes still shut.

"Can I not check on you girls? Where is your sister?" Merlin asked. He wasn't really there, his voice was just in my head.

"She didn't send you to check on me?" I opened one of my eyes to look at him.

"Now why would she do that?"

"Ask her yourself." I close my eyes again.

"Why are you out here alone, Little Dove?"

"I'm not a Little Dove. I am stronger than she knows. Stronger than you let her believe. I'm not fragile and I love Arthur, more than anything." I stand up and pace.

"Tell me what happened."

"She's putting words in my mind about my Arthur! I know him better than I know myself. He is kind, and smart-mouthed, and handsome. He loves me and wants me to be his queen. And she is cruel, and hateful and jealous. Why should she be jealous? She is so powerful and as hard as I try as much as I practice, my powers are limited. I don't blame you, but the sword takes all my energy."

"I'm sorry, this is my doing. You are as a living vessel for the sword. Over the years it has gained its energy from you, but it also takes yours away. Have you touched it yet?"

"That is Arthur's sword. I don't want it, but yet you taught me that if need be I will die for it."

"When the time comes, you will touch it and regain all the strength you have lost. That time will come. I'm sorry I put this curse on you."

"Without it, I wouldn't have dreamt of Arthur. Merlin, do you think Arthur and I are meant to be together?"

"I haven't seen a love like yours in centuries. Salem, Arthur loves you. Do not doubt this, or let the mistake your sisters momentarily jealousy tell you any different. I only want the best for you." Merlin finished and faded away.

I laid down and closed my eyes. The fire kept me warm the whole night, but my heart still hurt when I woke up. I told Arthur I would return and the feeling of seeing him out weights the aches in my heart.

I made my way back to the cave, but it was almost empty. Blue was there with some of the girls. He ran and hugged me when he saw me. I asked where the other were and he said they were at some meeting.

I kissed his head before telling him I would be back with the crew.

I followed the trail of walked on leaves and found Arthur and Bedivere talking to the side as everyone else was leaving. I only caught the end of their conversation.

"You seem to have found your way very quickly," Bedivere said.

"Now come on, kid. You're cooking dinner." Arthur teased.

"Do you have room for one more?" I ask playing with my nails.

Arthur jogged to me and picked me up, spinning me around. He kissed me a couple seconds. Before putting me down and grabbing my hand. We left Bedivere by himself, as we took the long way back.

"Are you better now, Darling?"

"Yes, thank you for understanding." we walked in silence before I asked, "So who went at the other first? You or my sister?"

"Me. Come on."

"Did you at least come to the conclusion of 'Why have enemies, when you can have friends?'" I copied what he says.

"I think eventually we will. You know I would never ever even think of hurting you. I love you, more than myself."

"When you asked me to be your queen what does that entail?"

"Well, I get to kiss and hug you whenever I want. You wear a crown and have your own throne. We sleep in the same bed, and eventually, you marry me. You are already the love of my life, but I want you to be my wife. The mother of my child. My equal, who grounds me when I feel out of control. Maybe we can ask Merlin to make a smaller version of the sword?"

"A dagger sized version of the sword?"

"Oh, yea! How does all of that sound?"

"You had me at, kissing and hugging whenever we want." We both were smiling so wide, our cheeks hurt.

"Gosh, that smile. I could stare at it all day." Arthur looked at my lips and then my eyes. "I'm going to kill Vortigern and we will start to live our lives. And you, my Darling, will be the most beautiful bride."

"Who else knows?"

"For the moment, just Blue. He asked why we aren't married yet. And honestly I didn't have an answer for him. He's a good kid, he really likes you. Don't tell him I told you, but he thinks of us as a mother figure."

"Well good, cause if I ever leave you, I'm taking him too."