Chapter 1

I stood in front of the mirror gazing at the dark circles under my eyes. Staying up all night working more shifts at the restaurant is going to end me. But I have no other choice. I have to pay the medical bills as soon as possible.

I went downstairs to check on Fred and he was cooking breakfast.

"Good morning apple," he said smiling.

" Fred you are supposed to be in bed! " I said worried.

" Oh come on! Not because I am an old man having Leukemia means I have to stay in bed all day." He said grinning.

But I was so worried about him that I can't stand the idea of him being in pain or passing out.

" Fred, please, you heard the doctors, you still have a lot of treatment, you can't tire yourself, you must stay in bed" I explained taking the eggs from his hands to stop him from cooking.

"Gwen, my sweet apple, I only accepted having treatment because you wanted that. I told you several times that I had enough of this life, if cancer is the end, so be it" he said.

" No !" I yelled throwing the spoon on the sink, my heart is racing.

" Apple..."

" No Fred, and I told you several times that you have to erase that idea from your mind, because you are not going to leave me okay? You are going to have all the treatment you need and get healthy again, no matter what! Or I swear I am going to end your life myself ! You know I can do it" I said tears in my eyes.

" Okay, calm down. It's just ...you know, after the life I had, it makes sense that I start thinking of...leaving. We don't even have enough money for all my treatment" he said.

" First, you are just 46 years old, you are not an old man! Second, you didn't raise me for ten years to stop here and give up on me okay? Third, we will have enough money to finish all your treatment, that's why I am working all day and night in that restaurant Fred" I explained.

" You don't have to Gwen, it's so exhausting, look at you it's..."

" I am fine, you already spent all your money at my college, I had to work in that restaurant at least until I find an association that asks for a legal advisor! We are going to be fine. But you can't leave me, I can't lose you, Fred, you know you are the only family I have" I said and put my head on his chest as he hugged me tight.

" I won't go anywhere apple, I am here with you," he said reassuring me.

"Okay time to go to work now, don't forget your medication," I said kissing him on his cheek, wore my shoes and went to the bus station.

When I arrived at the restaurant I changed into work outfit and started taking orders.

" Good morning gentlemen, have you decided your orders yet? " I asked two of the most loyal customers for this restaurant. One was young, middle twenties, and kinda hot I my say. And the other was old but still on a good shape. They are used to coming every morning to the restaurant wearing suits and looking all classy and stuff.

" The usual order beautiful" the older said with a gentle voice.

This man's so nice.

But the younger hot guy, seems kinda jerk. Maybe because I like him since the first day I worked here and I've been attracted to him and he didn't even look at me or say a word to me. And I hate feeling this toward a man who seems arrogant.

Like why wouldn't he look at me? Am I invisible?

He seems rich and all but that's not a reason to ignore me you dumbass.