Chapter 23

" No ! No ! This can't happen ! You should go back there and wake him up do you hear me ? He can't just go he can't just leave me ! " Gwen cried and yelled at the doctor and I was pulling her back trying to hug her but she kept fighting me.

" Gwen, please don't do this" I begged but she didn't listen nor stopped yelling.

" his condition was hard, he wasn't doing well and we warned him to stay safe, because any infection or stress can kill him, let alone a stroke, his body was too weak, and we had nothing else to do" the doctor explained.

" What are you saying ? The results of last month were good, you said he was recovering" I said.

" Results of Fred Baker ? No he wasn't recovering, we specifically informed him that we are going to higher-up chemo sessions because his body was not responding, he was getting sicker" the doctor explained and Gwen and I looked at each other.

" He lied ? He lied, he told me the results were good and he was doing better" she said.

" Apparently he wanted you not to worry about him anymore so he can enjoy the rest of his life with you, he lied for you" I said.

" But I killed him ! I made him so angry at me and for what I did... I killed him ! I fucking caused the stroke and killed him Daniel ! I killed Fred ! " She cried over and over until she started falling down.

My heart was aching and I didn't know what else should I do to calm her down.

As if there is anything I can do, her father and keeper died.

After the funeral I took her to her house and stayed with her.

She spent the days sleeping, waking up crying, and then going back to sleep.

One day I went back from a trial and drove to her house. I went upstairs to check on her and try for the thousand time to make her eat but I didn't find her.

I freaked out.

I started looking for her everywhere but she wasn't anywhere to be found.

Until I heard noises in the backyard.

I went there and I found her brushing the floor and talking, alone.

" Gwen, you okay ? What are you doing ? " I asked and kneeled beside her.

" Fred is doing better, he is going back home soon I should clean the house for him, the house should be all good for when he comes back Daniel do you hear me ? " she said brushing the floor.

She was sweating and breathing hard.

For how long has she been like that ?

" Gwen, please stop, give me that" I said trying to take the brusher from her hands but she jerked my hand away.

" No ! I should finish before he comes back, the house should be clean" she said over and over.

" Gwen, give me that" I said.

" No ! You don't understand Daniel ! The house should be clean for when he comes back ! " She yelled and pushed me away.

" Okay, okay, fine, let me help you okay ? You are tired, let me take that and clean with you, okay? " I said and took the brusher from her shaking hands.

She laid on the chair behind her and kept watching me as I started cleaning up.

" He is not coming back, is he ? " she said tears dropping on her red cheeks.

I looked at her and she started crying.

I hugged her tight and kissed her forehead.

After I got a message from Ethan, I drove to the Unity house leaving Gwen sleeping in her bed.