Chapter 3

"Oh my god Fred! Fred are you okay? Fred can you hear me? " I yelled freaking out but he didn't answer.

I run to the coach to grab my phone. I called an ambulance and once it arrived they took him to the hospital.

I went with them and kept waiting for the doctor to check on him.

I sat on the floor shaking, scared.

What if he dies?

How would I live without him? He is everything I have, he is my only family.

" Mrs Baker" I heard the doctor calling so I stood up to face him.

" Is he okay? " I asked the doctor.

" He is having such a hard time, the treatment we were giving him didn't affect him as we hoped for. He reached the level on which he can't be left without supervision, so he is going to stay with us for a while, for hospitalization and continuous chemotherapy" the doctor explained and I felt my heart aching as he spoke.

I didn't think that one day Fred will end up at this level.

"You okay ? " the doctor asked.

" Yeah, okay, if that is what it takes so be it, just please doctor... tell me he is going to be okay? " I said tears burning my eyes.

" He will, you have to stay strong and hopeful, both of you, his psychologic health is important too for his treatment," the doctor said tapping on my shoulder.

" Thank you, doctor," I said smiling.

" You are welcome," he said and went away.

I went to the room where they left Fred, he was still unconscious. I sat next to him and held his hands.

" You should hang on, okay? You are not going to leave me, you are going to fight this damn cancer and you are going to come back to me stronger than ever" I said to him and kissed his forehead.

He might not be my real father, but he was the best father I could ever have.

He gave meaning to my life.

And I have to do all I can to help him get through this illness.

I slept on the chair next to Fred's bed until the nurse came to me in the morning and woke me up.

I took a taxi and went back home to change and go to work.

The weather was so cold and I forgot to wear a jacket last night. I was busy worrying about Fred that I didn't realize how I got out.

I changed my clothes and went downstairs to pick up my keys when I found another bill paper under the door.

It was from the hospital. For Fred's last medications.

Fuck I forgot to pay them.

Working all day long in that shitty restaurant is not going to help not even a little bit.

Especially when Fred is staying at the hospital now. I won't be able to pay the fucking bills.

I need to find a solution.

And I guess I have one.

It's not one I want.

But it's the only choice I have right now. Otherwise, I will be fucked up.

I run to the trash in the front yard to take back the paper with Daniel's number.

And when I found it I just kept staring at it.

I was hesitating.

I can't be a thief, I can't work with criminals and be one.

That's not me.

But I have no other choice.

My phone ringing cut my thoughts. It was Jimmy calling.

" Where you at girl ? " he asked through the phone.

"I don't know, no, I mean what's up? " I said with a messy brain.

" You know we have a special event today at the restaurant you are supposed to come an hour earlier, we have a lot of work to do, hurry up," Jimmy said and I slapped my forehead as he reminded me of the event.

" Fuck, I forgot it" I admitted.

" You better be here in 30 minutes," he said and hung up.

I put the paper with Daniel's number in my pocket and took the bus to the restaurant.

When I arrived all the workers were decorating the restaurant. Every year the owner manages an event in it related to his other job. So we have to manage the restaurant for his special guests only.

And this is the first time for me on such a special day and I have no clue what to do.

" From Earth to Gwen" Jimmy called cutting my thoughts.

" Good morning Jimmy," I said to him.

" Good morning, you okay? You look like shit" He said laughing.

" I spent the night awake, so," I said and went to the locker room to change.

" What happened? " He asked following me.

" Fred, I mean my father, he was so sick last night so they took him to the hospital and he is going to spend the next days there" I explained.

" Damn, so the cancer is doing its shit now," he said.

" I guess so" I replied.

" Don't worry girl, he is going to be okay, I am sure about it, I know a lot of people who lived a long normal time with leukemia" he said.

" Jimmy, it's okay, thank you but we have a lot of work and I don't wanna talk about this right now," I said giving him a smile.

" Yeah okay, sure, I'll leave you to change, find me in the kitchen to tell you about your tasks today," he said and walked away.

After a long fucking day of exhausting work, the event was done, the special high-class guests went home and we cleaned the restaurant, closed it, and went our homes.

Jimmy drove me to the hospital and when he left I went to Fred's room to check on him.

He was awake.

I hugged him and laid beside him on the bed.

He started playing with my hair and we kept just silent the whole time.

I was thinking the whole day about Daniel's offer. The offer that I have no other choice but to accept in order to get enough money for Fred's treatment.

Or I will end up charged with unpaid bills, going to trials or even going to jail.

Fred fell asleep so I went out of the room and took my phone and Daniel's number out of my pocket and called.

The phone didn't ring for so long until he picked up.

" I accept the job, I want to work with you," I said my heart bouncing.

I know I am going to risk my life and my manners for this but I have to do so. Like what Fred did risking his life and job to protect mine.

I have to do it.