Chapter 8

When I got to the hospital I run to Fred who was laying on his bed watching tv and kissed his cheek and laid beside him.

" I missed you" I said.

" I missed you too apple" he said.

He was pale and tired, smelled like medecines.

It breaks my heart to see him this way.

Frederick Baker the mercenary man who fought the worst men in the city, the man that every businessman trusted and asked to accomplish their jobs, the man who took me away from the worst father, the most criminal man, and hid me under his wings, giving me birth once again, is now laying in hospital beds, tied up by machines, fighting fucking leukemia.

I was staring at him, remembering the happy moments we had together, he took me with him when he was just 34, young and strong. Like a big rock. He quit his job as a mercenary man to keep me safe and protected, I was the light of his life, the hope he was looking for to be a clean man, and he was my hero, my saver.

" You okay ? " he asked.

" Yeah, actually, I have good news for you and I waited to see you to tell you about it " I said standing up.

" Something about this beautiful dress I assume ? " he asked smiling.

" Yes! I got a new job, I am an IP attorney's assistant now" I said excited.

" Oh my god, finally you got rid of that restaurant, congratulations my apple," he said hugging me in his arms.

" You deserve the best honey," he said.

" Thank you Fred, now we don't have to worry about the money anymore, Daniel, I mean Mr. Brown is paying me a good salary, enough for everything we need," I said hiding half of the truth.

"All I care about is your comfort and happiness apple" he said.

I spent the early night watching comedy movies with Fred, sharing laughter with him is the best thing I enjoy.

Suddenly I got a text from Daniel saying he is going to pick me up in an hour so I kissed Fred good night and went home to change into leggings and a hoodie.

I took my phone to text Daniel but he was already outside in a van.

The back door of the van opened and it was Justin.

" Come on ! " he said waving at me.

I run to get inside where were all the team wearing sneakers and hoodies.

" Wow, you look like we are going hiking," Lea said checking on her phone.

" Yeah? Then we all are because we are all wearing the same" I replied.

" Alright don't start, both of you, it's not a good time," Mason said sitting next to Daniel.

" Let's roll," I said closing the back van door and Daniel drove.

It took us an hour to arrive at the place.

It was an old building in the middle of nowhere.

It was all dark, we look like we are going to discover a haunted house.

" So this is the room where you are going to find the box, remember there are three boxes, pick the smallest, you go all the way through this and you come back the same way" Mason said showing us the map of the building, it's bigger than it looks from the outside.

" I'll be watching every hallway and corner just don't move a foot until I tell you" he added giving us mini headphones so we can communicate with him.