Chapter 5

I went to the hospital to check on Fred, he woke up and was tied up with a lot of machines. My heart ached seeing him like that.

" My sweet little apple," he said once he opened his eyes.

" Hey, you feeling okay? "

" Yeah honey, don't worry about me," he said.

" Stop telling me not to worry, because I can't stop worrying seeing you like that Fred, you promised me to take all your meds, but instead you didn't and you ended up in the hospital," I said frustrated.

" I sometimes forget, and I promise I will make sure to take care this time," he said.

" Of course this time you will, because it's not up to you anymore," I said.

" What do you mean ? " he asked.

" You are going to stay here for stronger treatments and medications, you are not going home yet" I explained.

" Oh god! But I am only in the first stage of cancer, I don't need all of this !" he said referring to the machines surrounding him.

" Yes you do," I said.

" Oh come on! This is bullshit I can't stay here, let's get out, they can't force me to be here" he said standing up but I stopped him.

" Fred wait, Fred! " I said but he kept removing the sheets.

" Fred Stop! " I yelled tears burning my eyes.

This shit is tearing me into pieces and I can't take his childish irresponsible behaviors anymore.

He stopped and kept staring at me with worried eyes.

" I am done with you acting all cold and indifferent Fred okay! You are not in the fucking good situation to choose whether to stay or leave! your body is getting sicker and sicker! And it's all because of you! You didn't take care of yourself, you didn't take your meds, and you didn't even care about what was going to happen if you became this messy! You didn't even care about me..." I cried.

" Gwen, Gwen, please don't say that, you know there is nothing in the world I care about more than you, I love you more than I love myself, I would give you my life if it needed," he said wiping the tears on my cheeks.

"Then stop killing yourself and stay alive for me"

" Actually cancer is doing the kill, not me"

" Don't let it! I am not going to spend my life convincing you to take care of your health Fred !"

" Gwen I... "

" Listen to me, either you stick to your life and get healthy again and do all it takes to be so, or I'll leave, if you're going to give up on cancer then you are going to be dead soon, therefore, you don't need me anymore," I said and walked away.

" Gwen don't, Gwen! Serena come back here!" he called but I ignored him and kept walking.

" Is everything okay ? " the doctor asked me.

" Yeah, he woke up, you can check on him if he let you," I said to her and walked out of the hospital.

I called an Uber and went to the restaurant where I found Jimmy cleaning the counter.

" Hey there," he said as I sat on the bar facing him.

" Hey, where were you this morning, you had a shift remember ? " he said.

" I know Jimmy, I had to stay at the hospital with Fred," I said half of the truth.

" Yeah that's what I assumed, I covered it for you anyways," he said smiling.