Chapter 24

Gwen's Prov :

" No, I can't just be part of this game either, you're not seriously asking me this Ethan ! " I heard Daniel screaming inside Ethan's office.

I started tiptoeing so I can hear what they were talking about.

" I am not asking you, I am ordering you, you have no choice but to do it, otherwise she'll..."

" Gwen, you came? " Mady said from behind me making my heart jump.

" Oh my god I missed you, look at you" she said hugging me and I heard Daniel getting out of the room.

" I missed you too Mady" I said.

" Daniel said you weren't fine since the funeral and I was thinking of visiting you but now you're here, I guess you're doing better, I hope ? " she asked worried.

I love this girl.

I was a mess since that miserable day but today I woke up realizing that I should stop grieving and start getting into a world full of action, to keep my mind busy, to be someone I never was.

And tracing is the only way to do it.

I was rejecting the idea of being one of them at the beginning, then I joined for Fred, then I lost him because of it.

So tracing or no tracing, I am going to be always nothing.

So maybe I get killed in some of the missions, and end this shitty life I have.

" Gwen ? Why you're here ? Why didn't you call me I could have driven you here" Daniel said.

" What are you doing here? Don't you have a Lea to fuck? " I said shooting him a glare and got inside Ethan's room.

" Oh hey girl, come here" Ethan said as he saw me and hugged me.

" Hey" I said and hugged him back.

" I am sorry I couldn't call you when your father died, I am so sorry for your loss" he said.

" It's okay" I said smiling.

" Actually I came here to ask you about something Ethan" I said and Daniel got inside the room.

" What is it sweetheart?" Ethan said and sat on his chair.

" Fred said something about a plan, or something you did and you're going to do again, I mean I didn't know that he would know who you are but when he did he was so angry, so so angry, which made me wonder, why? " I asked and they looked at each other.

Actually, Ethan looked at Daniel as if he was asking him to speak.

" Ethan and Fred knew each other from a previous job, they got in some conflict one day. So when Fred knew that you were working for him, he didn't like the idea of it and freaked out, I am sorry" Daniel said looking down.

And due to everything that happened between me and him, I know he was lying.

" But Fred was saying, he can't take you away again, I remember that" I insisted.

" Gwen, honey, we men in our business, we're all enemies to each other, and Fred, you were like a daughter to him, so, of course, he wouldn't accept you working as a tracer for me, he knows how my business is somehow, maybe from some man who hired him before when he was a mercenary, so he said what he said, like what any father can say to his daughter, he protected you so well, he raised you right, he loved you so much" Ethan said wiping on my hair.

Tears started burning my eyes at the thought of him.

" I know that you didn't like to work with me at the beginning, you were obliged to, but now that Fred is dead, and you work as Daniel's assistant, you would think of quitting, but I am telling you, sweetheart, I can't let you just quit, you're one of us right ? You can't abandon us just because you are no longer in need of money" Ethan said smiling.