13. The Movie Night

Jen ~Ruby

Today at work, my head was empty, full only with thoughts of Lisa.

"I see you're distracted and messing up orders again, I take it things went well with your girlfriend last night?" Rosé was pestering me, but I couldn't blame her, I did have a suspiciously large grin on my face.

I smiled. "Something like that Rosie, let's just say that hopefully, things are starting to look up for Lili and I.."

"Lili, who's Lili?" Her high ponytail swished as she turned to look at me, a confused look on her face.

Oh crap.

"Errm, Pranpriya. That's just a cute pet name I have for her, it's an inside joke." My cheeks heated up but I think I covered my tracks pretty well.

Rosie smiled at me as she continued to wipe down the counter. "That's sweet."

Phew she bought it, thank god. That was a close shave. I can't afford any more slip ups like that in the future.

-----

As I drove Lisa and I home, I pondered telling her about my accidental slip up with Ro. Hopefully she wouldn't be mad. 

"Hey, can I ask you something?" I brought the car to a slow stop in front of a red light as Lisa nodded at me, her gaze stuck on her phone screen.

"Have you ever considered, like, maybe staying in touch with the friends you've made here, once wit-pro is over?"

She didn't say anything, but she locked her phone as she gave me her full attention. I pulled at the handbrake as I began to accelerate the car on the road again.

"I just mean like, will you stay in touch with Jisoo and stuff when this is all finished?"

She shrugged. "I don't know Jen, I mean, I haven't really allowed myself to think about what will happen once all this is done, everything is still so up in the air." She leant her head against the car window and watched the opposing traffic whiz past in the evening rush hour.

I hummed in agreement. The future of Lisa and I's relationship was another elephant in the room we still haven't talked about, yet I know it's on both of our minds.

"Do you want to stay in touch with Rosie after you no longer work at Coffee House?" Her finger was tracing patterns onto the glass after she'd breathed against it.

I glanced briefly at Lisa to my right before focusing back on the road. "Yeah, of course I'd like to. Maybe one day we can get the all-clear to explain everything to our friends, once we're safe."

Lisa hummed, I continued. "Also, I've never had many friends before, so it would suck to lose my first best friend you know?" I frowned at the thought of never being able to share a slice of carrot cake with Rosie as we swapped foodie tips and dating horror stories in the back room. I must have sighed pretty loudly cause Lisa picked her head up off the window to look at me.

"Am I not your friend?" I chuckled at her pout. "Of course you are silly, but I mean a proper best friend. One I don't want to kiss and cuddle at night."

Lisa didn't say anything as she leant against the car window again, but I could tell from the sudden sexual tension in the car and small smirk on her face, that we were thinking about the same thing.

--------

The evening with Lisa went the same as it usually does, with us changing out of our uniforms and into something more comfortable. I was in such a rush to leave the Coffee House and pick up Lisa on time today, that I didn't even notice I was still wearing my work apron until Lisa told me how much she 'loved my outfit' followed up with bad jokes about kissing the chef and copious amounts of laughter.