15. The Brunch

J~R

Eventually Lisa and I found the location of this hole-in-the-wall cafe that Rosie insisted we meet at. It was literally called 'The Hideout', so no wonder it took us ages to find it, plus there was no parking so we had to park two blocks over, but anyway, point is, we made it just in time.

The interior was so aesthetically pleasing, much better than the outside. It has lots of greenery and white and brown accents dotted around that gave it a totally cozy feel.Rosie was sat in a booth in the corner with her hair styled neatly in a middle part . I rarely ever saw her with her hair down and I thought she looked lovely. Her eyes lit up when she spotted us, quickly waving us over.

"Ruby, Pranpriya, hi, it's good to see you guys." She drawled in her soft Aussie accent, pulling me into a brief hug as she wiggled her fingers at Lisa.

"So," I began as I slid into the space next to her, Lisa taking the seat opposite Rosie, "Where's your friend, will she be here soon?"

Rosie took a sip from her cup before she answered. "She texted saying she's running a bit late and that we should feel free to order without her."

"Brilliant, I'm starving!" Lisa rubbed her hands together as she reached for the menu.

I snatched it from her grasp, replacing it with the smaller drinks one. "No babe, lets wait for Rosie's guest to arrive before we get anything to eat, here, order us some drinks." She pursed her lips but otherwise complied as she ordered a hot chocolate and milk tea, leaving Rosie and I to gossip about work, with Lisa chipping in every now and then.

I was halfway through my milk tea when Rosie stood up abruptly.

"Hi." She was looking at a girl who had dark hair and was dressed in a sea green plaid dress with doc martens and a fluffy brown jumper. It wasn't until she neared our table that I recognised her as Jisoo.

"Hey Rosé." She noticed me and did a double take before staring at the back of Lisa's blonde head. Lili was so engrossed in her phone and hot chocolate that she hadn't turned around yet.

"Priya? Ruby? What are you guys doing here?"

"Chu?" Lisa almost choked on her drink at the sight of her friend. Even though I've only seen Jisoo a handful of times , mostly in passing when I pick Lisa from work, I had to admit she did seem..different. Her usually bold, dark makeup was replaced with a more refreshed and natural look, her hair straightened and flat as opposed to tied up in bunches with colored highlights and clips.

"Wait, you guys know each other?" Rosie questioned, a manicured finger waggling between Jisoo, Lili and I.

"Yeah, Jisoo and I work together at PlanetRadio."

"You work at PlanetRadio now?"

"Yeah." Jisoo replied as she sat in the available space next to Lisa.

I thought they were friends, how did Rosie not know where Jisoo worked?

"How do you know Ruby, Rosé?" Jisoo asked her as she perused the drinks menu.

"She's part of the team at Coffee House, we grew close and so I invited her here, with Priya. I hope thats okay.."

Lisa smiled and she nudged Jisoo. "Of course it's okay, Chu here loves me!" Jisoo squirmed out of Lisa's hold and she tried to get the waitresses attention, "Just an iced tea for me, thanks."

For some reason the vibe seemed off for me, it was like two worlds colliding yet there was this unsettling tension over the four of us. Jisoo never seemed like the warm or overly friendly type and I'v always had the slight suspicion that she dislikes me. Nevertheless, Lili tried to break the awkward tension, I admired her ability to make everyone feel at ease.