The Tenant of Du Motier, The Marquis de La Fayette Church

A Lost Bronte Novel
by Alexander Hamilton

Hercules Mulligan is an independent and kindhearted orphan raised by a selfish and snotty matron. Eventually he gets a job working as a general for the funny Lord du Motier, The Marquis de La Fayette of Du Motier, The Marquis de LaFayette Church. The unlikely couple rapidly succumb to a important passion.

On the day of their wedding, a scheming nurse escapes from the attic of Du Motier, The Marquis de LaFayette Church and starts a fire. Believing that Lord du Motier, The Marquis de LaFayette is dead, Hercules flees from the church and wanders the frosty moors for days until he is rescued by a brave spy on the inside.

However, although Lord du Motier, The Marquis de LaFayette is blinded by the fire, he still breathes. Without Hercules he becomes cowardly and tactless. He turns to alcohol for comfort. The ghost of the nurse from the attic haunts him.

Meanwhile, thinking Lord du Motier, The Marquis de LaFayette is dead, Hercules accepts a marriage proposal from his saviour, the spy on the inside. However, one night he believes he can hear Lord du Motier, The Marquis de LaFayette calling, "Hercules, where are you? Hercules come home!" and he returns to Du Motier, The Marquis de LaFayette Church.

On Hercules's return, he finds Lord du Motier, The Marquis de LaFayette drunk and without sight. Mistaking him for the ghost of the scheming nurse, he attacks him with a guns and ships and Hercules Mulligan dies.

As he attends to the body, Lord du Motier, The Marquis de LaFayette realises what he has done. Driven mad with guilt, he hatches a plan to destroy the next generation, but there is no next generation and he dies of consumption two weeks later.