John Laurens and the Three Kind Turtles

A Fairy Tale by Alexander Hamilton

Once upon a time there was a pretty boy called John Laurens. He was on the way to see his Mom-baguette Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier Marquis de Lafayette, when he decided to take a short cut through Penrose Woods.

It wasn't long before John got lost. He looked around, but all he could see were trees. Nervously, he felt into his bag for his favourite toy, Anthony, but Anthony was nowhere to be found! John began to panic. He felt sure he had packed Anthony. To make matters worse, he was starting to feel hungry.

Unexpectedly, he saw a kind turtle dressed in a blue pinafore disappearing into the trees.

"How odd!" thought John.

For the want of anything better to do, he decided to follow the peculiarly dressed turtle. Perhaps it could tell him the way out of the forest.

Eventually, John reached a clearing. He found himself surrounded by houses made from different sorts of food. There was a house made from red cabbages, a house made from toffees, a house made from biscuits and a house made from chips.

John could feel his tummy rumbling. Looking at the houses did nothing to ease his hunger.

"Hello!" he called. "Is anybody there?"

Nobody replied.

John looked at the roof on the closest house and wondered if it would be rude to eat somebody else's chimney. Obviously it would be impolite to eat a whole house, but perhaps it would be considered acceptable to nibble the odd fixture or lick the odd fitting, in a time of need.

A cackle broke through the air, giving John a fright. A witch jumped into the space in front of the houses. She was carrying a cage. In that cage was Anthony!

"Anthony!" shouted John. He turned to the witch. "That's my toy!"

The witch just shrugged.

"Give Anthony back!" cried John.

"Not on your nelly!" said the witch.

"At least let Anthony out of that cage!"

Before she could reply, three kind turtles rushed in from a footpath on the other side of the clearing. John recognised the one in the blue pinafore that he'd seen earlier. The witch seemed to recognise him too.

"Hello Big Turtle," said the witch.

"Good morning." The turtle noticed Anthony. "Who is this?"

"That's Anthony," explained the witch.

"Ooh! Anthony would look lovely in my house. Give it to me!" demanded the turtle.

The witch shook her head. "Anthony is staying with me."

"Um... Excuse me..." John interrupted. "Anthony lives with me! And not in a cage!"

Big Turtle ignored him. "Is there nothing you'll trade?" he asked the witch.

The witch thought for a moment, then said, "I do like to be entertained. I'll release him to anybody who can eat a whole front door."

Big Turtle looked at the house made from chips and said, "No problem, I could eat an entire house made from chips if I wanted to."

"That's nothing," said the next turtle. "I could eat two houses."

"There's no need to show off," said the witch. Just eat one front door and I'll let you have Anthony."