fourty three

Sada
June 8th, 2019

I down a shot and quickly chase it with juice. I wince at the burning feeling sliding down my throat mixed with the sweetness of the juice. 

"One more shot!" Kevin yells and I gladly take the shot glass from him. I knock it back and laugh at Nya watching us with an irritated expression.

"Come on! We're about to be late!" She snatches the bottle from Kevin and I smack my teeth. I quickly change my shirt and find a pair of sandals in my closet. I quickly grab my daily jewelry and slide my stuff on as we quickly dash to the front door.

We're about to try this new Mexican restaurant not too far from my house and Nya made reservations knowing it's going to be packed. I was pretty excited because they had a really good vegan menu for us to try. Recently, Nya's family went pescatarian due to her father needing to change his diet because of a health condition.

"Uber?" I ask pointing to the car rolling to a stop.

"Yeah, get in." Nya says but I walk around the back to sneak a picture of the license plate.

"Let me see yo phone." I snatch Nya's phone to compare license plates and give it back when I see its correct. I slide in the car and bug my eyes out when I see the driver. "Are you Skip Marley?"

"No, but I've heard that all night." He laughs and I nod.

"Hm, you look just like him." I drunkenly say, staring at the back of his head. Once everyone is buckled in, he pulls off and turns up the radio. I recognize this song instantly, Roland has played this song every night when we work.

"Kevin look at this girl." Nya groans motioning to Tori who was asleep.

"Told her not to get cross faded." He snickers and I look over at Tori asleep on Nya's lap.

"Let her sleep Ny." I rub Tori's shoulder with a pout on my face. "She's really messed up about Lamont."

"We should beat his ass." Nya mumbles.

Lamont has been ignoring Tori's calls and giving her the cold shoulder all week. Tori's not understanding why he'd do this to her but it's awfully convenient that after they have sex he wants to be this way. He's a coward if you ask me. You waited months and spent your money, your time and hers just to leave when you get to have sex with her.

"Pathetic bastard." I grumble, looking down at Tori. "My poor friend." I pout and gently rub circles around her shoulder. She didn't deserve that at all. Tori's one of the most kind hearted people in this world who doesn't have a mean bone in her body.

She's given people the clothes off of her back,
and food off of her plate. For someone to come and take advantage of her boils my blood.

I tune back into the conversation, hearing them talk about random shit and I take notice to a song on the radio.

"Aye Skip." I call to the Uber driver. Kevin snickers in the front seat and I see the drivers eyes in the windshield. "What's this song called?" I've heard this song before from Roland too and since I've been giving him the cold shoulder, I didn't ask what it was called.

"Technicolor." I nod and pull out my phone to add it to my library. As I'm doing that, I get a text from Billie.

billie
i want to see you

I gulp and feel goosebumps travel up my arm. I tap Nya and show her the message. She gasps and gives me a smirk.

"Kevin" She taps the back of his head and he turns around. I show him the message and he gives me the same look Nya did.