Chapter 9. Good old days

"Wakey wakey!" Sam chirps. Grian opens his eyes, squinting at the bright light. "Morning, Greon!" He hums. The boy tears up and curls into himself, turning away from his kidnapper. Sam lets out a sigh and goes upstairs. The boy lets out a grief ridden sob. He let himself submit to Sam, he LET Sam hurt Mumbo. How could he ever face the others? He knows they hate him by now. He'd never be welcomed back. Even if they come to get him, it'd only be out of pity because he's so alone.

He feels a hand on his wing. He feels it run up and down his feathers. The person holds his wing just as Mumbo did. But who was he kidding? Mumbo's dead! And it's HIS FAULT-

"How have you been?" No... that voice... it can't be. He looks over his shoulder.

"... I must be seeing ghosts... god I really am crazy... soon I'll see Mumbo's ghost." He whispers to himself, tugging at his hair.

He grabs Grian's hand and takes it out of his hair.

"Don't hurt yourself, Grian. And what is this about ghosts?" He asks.

"You're dead... I watched Sam kill you." Grian gets up and faces him. "You're dead, Taurtis, but how are you here?" The man in headphones sighs and hugs the Watcher. The boy cries onto his shoulder.

"Look at you... you haven't changed a bit." They sit in each other's embrace, for who knows how long. Sam knew. He gave Taurtis 15 minutes to calm Grian down. He had 5 minutes left. "Now seriously, what's with the wings?" Taurtis chuckles. Grian lets out a pained laugh.

"I joined the Watchers.." He mumbles into the others shoulder.

"What? Those old legends are real?!" Taurtis hold his shoulders and looks him in the eye.

"I wouldn't have wings otherwise." Grian chuckles. "... I got someone killed..."

"Grian, there's no need to be thinking about this."

"No! I-I got him killed so I had to link our souls but now he's dead... I'm as unstable as Sam now."

"... how long were you linked?" Taurtis asks.

"310 years." The boy hangs his head. "He was the only person I could trust... and now I can't even go back home because they all hate me."

"Oh Greon, you are home. Like I said, they only kept you around to further their game." Sam says, his voice feigning sympathy as he comes down the stairs. He wraps his arms around the two. "We don't need anyone else but each other. The three of us can do anything together." Sam mutters. The three part.

"... on a serious note, how the fuck are you alive? I literally watched Sam kill you!" Grian exclaims. The two in question look at each other and laugh.

"Funny that... uh... we don't really know. I just showed up again randomly-"

"Oh god, please don't tell me you're another clone..." Grian interjects.

"Nah. Look." Taurtis pulls out his phone.

<Taurtis> Ayoo

"Huh... oh dear god I missed this." The man in blue look at him with curiosity.

"Apparently updates further recess into medieval like times. They only just discovered communicators 30 years ago, and there hasn't been much change on that part. And now EVERYONE has a voice. So it's impossible to ignore them." Grian sighs.

"That must be hell." Taurtis and Sam mutter.

"Well, not really. I'm a Watcher, not a Listener. Normally when I'm on duty I can't hear anything." The boy shrugs.