xxxviii. crossing the line

They drove for a few minutes before JJ stopped the van in front of a land that seemed abandoned. Isis pulled a face as she looked at JJ, unsure about the following events.

"Welcome to Crackhead Wasteland," winced Sarah.

"I don't know about this, man," said Pope.

"Me neither," supported Isis, looking at her boyfriend. But he ignored her.

John B sighed deeply. "Dude, why are we at Barry's?" he asked, leaning between the front seats.

"This'll only take a second," replied JJ as he got out of the van.

Isis didn't hesitate before she followed him.

"Where you going??" inquired John B.

"Yo soy justicia," answered JJ.

"Wait!" said Isis.

She turned to her friends who were staring at her with a weary look, and shrugged.

When she joined JJ inside, he was going through every closet in the room.

"JJ? Hey, what are you doing??"

"Don't worry," he replied.

"Of course I'm worried!" she shouted, suddenly tensed. "You are making a mess! And I won't leave you alone until you tell me what's happening in your head," she added, crossing her arms on her chest.

JJ let out a sigh and stood up in front of her. But his eyes were staring behind her.

"So what's your plan, slick?" asked John B's voice as he walked in.

She felt a bit relieved to have him by her side.

"Well, as thou hath stealeth from us, we shall stealeth from ye," JJ replied as he got back to his work.

"Yeah, that kinda got lost in translation," said John B.

"An eye for an eye, John B."

"Yeah, that's great, JJ," he replied as he put himself in front of him. "But what happens after you rob a drug dealer, huh? He knows who we are!!"

JJ scoffed and walked out, going in the next room. "I'm not scared of this guy."

"JJ, don't--"

"Oh, come on," Isis grunted following him. "JJ! Cut the bullshit, I'm begging you. This isn't the right thing to do!"

"But maybe it is."

"No it isn't. And you know it. So now, come to your senses, and let's leave this place."

"There we go," he muttured as he found a huge sport bag full of money. "Y'know, Izzy, of all of you, I really didn't think you'd be the one to try and stop me."

Isis scoffed. "And what is that supposed to mean??"

"Don't know," he shrugged. "It's up to you."

She frowned. "You're such a pain in the ass, JJ. I- I can't even--"

"You can't what??" he asked with anger, his tensed face turned to hers. "Go ahead, tell me."

Isis stared at him with wrath in her eyes, her lips pursed.

JJ chuckled bitterly. "That's what I thought."

"What are you talking about??" frowned Isis.

"The one time I need you, you let me down! You're letting me down, like everyone else."

"Excuse me?! Nobody's letting you down! Least of all me. But you're crossing the line. You're going too far in this shit! So put that down, and come with me."