Well...

WREN

"Oh fuck," Wren coughs, staring at the dirty tile below her. She sits on her hands and knees, trying to ignore the nausea creeping up on her. Beside her, Ellie lays on her back, backpack sitting next to her.

"You okay?" She asks, voice raspy. Wren looks over at her, thanking whoever is out there that they actually made it out alive. It's a miracle they both managed to hang onto eachother, but Wren won't lie about the fear she felt when Ellie passed out.

"are you? I saw you hit that wall pretty hard." Wren turns over, sitting on her butt facing the other girl. Ellie sits up onto her elbows, brushing wet heat off of her forehead.

"Yeah, it doesn't hurt much, we should go before we lose anymore light." The red headed girl stands from the ground, slinging her backpack on. She walks over to Wren, out stretching her hand to the other girl.

"Thanks," Wren mumbles as they clasp hands, grunting as she's pulled up from the messy tile. "I hate wearing wet clothes," she sighs, removing her hand from Ellie's with slight disappointment.

"Me too, I'm just glad we made it out alive." Ellie sighs, looking down at Wren's sluggishly bleeding bite mark. "Well almost,"

"It will be fine, we just need to clean it when we get a moment." The brunette looks down at it with a wince. "Do we know where we are?" She asks to change the subject. Ellie turns and walks towards the light at the end of the hallway, Wren following.

"I'm not sure," she sighs, walking out of the building. As soon as they exit, Wren looks around to gauge where they could be. They're surrounded by mostly foliage like the rest of the city, but it seems more concentrated. "There's a map," the girl points to a black sign.

Wren walks toward it, leaning in to try and read the old thing. "We're here." She mumbles, touching a dot on the map. "Here's the hospital, we can take this road up." The brunette leans away to point off to their right.

"Then let's go."

—-

ELLIE

"I have like eight mosquito bites right now," Ellie mumbles, pushing a tree limb out of the way. All around them is tall grass and trees- even after they left the park.

"Yeah, we're gonna have to clean my ankle soon- it doesn't feel great." Wren whispers from behind her, letting out a gently sigh. Ellie shakes her head, hating herself for not cleaning it sooner. With their luck Wren will get an infection.

"Well let's just be careful," Ellie replies, standing fully to leap up onto a short ravine. As she does, a high pitched whistle rings out and Ellie lets out a cry of pain. She falls back, Wren barely catching her in time before she hits the ground. The girl writhes in her arms, an arrow sticking out of her shoulder. She stays in the brunettes lap, unable to sit up with her head across her thighs.

Wren looks away from Ellie, raising her gun just as someone in red comes into both of their fields of view. She pulls the trigger just before Ellie squeezes her eyes shut in pain, trying to muffle her cries. "Fuck, okay, you're gonna be fine." Wren says, and the other girl can feel her hands roaming o around the wound.

"Pull it out." Ellie says through clenched teeth, trying to ignore the white hot pain in her shoulder.

"What!?" Wren asks, panic in her voice.