(17) - Cloudy Skies -

17 - Cloudy Skies -

The eight chime, Fang hissed, looking around as he was unable to exit the weird temple-like maze, looking to the sky to see that the clock-tower was at the distance, sighing as he tried to make his way once again, brushing off the flashes of memories that erupted in his brains. He gritted his teeth as he thought, 'that never happened... it never did.'

He stomped off, stepping on some puddles as he cautiously made a turn but to his shock, he was faced by a weird sight, eyes widened to see that he was in one of the larger rooms of the maze, eyes feeling like they'd been deceived to see a man walking on water, 'Is this some sort of religious nightmare?' He thought but the closer the man came, the more he saw what he initially looked like human until a flash of light came and he saw a weird shadow beneath his feet, almost like it was horned, moving to walk back until the man gave him a furrowed brow and smirk, 'He can see me?'

"Why wouldn't I see you? You can see me, can't you?" The horned man spoke in a matter-a-factly tone, soon out of the water and on solid land, staring at Fang with an interested gleam, "You look awfully inhumane though." "Because I'm an alien." Fang retorted in annoyance, looking behind him to see the weird shadow slowly disappear before facing the latter figure.

"How are you here? Do you know how to get out?" Fang inquired as the man hummed, "Rude than him though. He'd at least tell me his name before deciding to order me around." Fang cleared his throat, glancing behind when he saw a weird figure forming behind him, two. One of the shadowy goo and light building. "I go by Bentley, it's nice to meet you?" Fang stepped beside him, cautious of the growing figures, he said, "Fang Yinan. Now can you tell me what they are?"

Bentley smirked as he glanced towards the growing figure, "Oneirodynia. They make it so that your subconscious is restless whilst your physical body suffers. Think about having nightmares that have side-effects." He spoke, putting his hands into his pockets, glaring at the two figures that resembled Fang's figure, "And they don't go away, I've been following you and saw they stalk you like predators."

Fang felt his nerve constrict, glancing at Bentley who spoke like the situation wasn't dire. "What do you mean they don't go away? How do we get rid of them?" Bentley gave him a serious glare, pressing his lips together, "They don't usually exist unless the person Oneiric got used to has memories they'd wish never to see or hear ever again." His sudden switch of tone made Fang click his tongue, seeing the two figures approaching when Bentley was alarmed by the memory he saw by reading the figment's mind.

Carnage, war, blood. He hated it all, Fang pressed his lips together, walking towards his Shadow-self, he somehow conjured a shadow-lasso, glaring at the figment as he swung the weapon and tied the figment back, but he hissed, recalling the memories he hid. The day their village got attack as Fang and Kaizo were saved by Maskmana and the promise to forget the day altogether. The training he underwent to keep his life secured and the consistent comparison made by their father to him and his brother that made him feel less.

His mother's pained expression when he had to take the brunt of the attacks to get stronger and when he had to push her away due to humility. His insecurities all bore in the open as Bentley sighed, the sense of deja vu prevalent as he saw the light figment come close until his eyes widened.

Blue eyes bloomed before the figment, soon shifting into a familiar woman, Bentley's eyes widened as the woman looked around until she saw him and Fang. she gasped, "Fang? Fang!" She called in a frantic call, seeing him knelt on the ground as the shadow figment was gnawing at him, his hands covering his ears as he felt that he'd explode by the multiple noises he heard.

Ying grabbed his wrist, making him snap out of it, focusing on her as she looked at him with worried eyes, Fang felt his heart thump faster, heaving breaths quickly as he uttered, "Laopo?" Her eyes watered slightly, nodding as she held his hands into her smaller ones, "It's me, yeah, I'm here... wherever this is... I'm here." She finishes, using her other hand to hold his cheek, surprising her when her touch created spiral symbols on his face that glowed bright yellow until it chased away the shadow figments grip on him.

"What's wrong with your powers? A-Are you hurt?" Ying inquired, worried as he gave her a small smile, "Fang... what's gotten into you? Y-You need to get out of here–" "Time is up." Bentley voiced with concern as Ying's hands became intangible, making Fang give her slight huff of a breath, smiling as he said, "I love you, you know that... so wait for me... I promise to figure this out." She felt her tear brimmed eyes slowly fall down her cheeks, turning to Bentley who remained pliant as his hands remained behind him, "Protect my husband... please."

The space grew into a vast field as they heard a loud chime, reaching over to the ninth chime as Bentley stared to Fang as he gave a smirk, "I guess I'll help you. Your memories are too haunting to actually be overcomed.." Bentley stated as he lifted his hand, a weird symbol of a torch on his hand made Fang alarmed as he inquired, "What is that symbol? Where did you all come from?"

"A world far beyond your immediate understanding. Trust me, I'll be of more use here than out there." Bentley said, reaching his hand, "Your brother would've been proud of you... no matter what." He said as he summoned a large swirl of clouds in his hands, Fang knelt down as blood gushed out of his nose and lips, looking up to stare at the latter male, "See."

Fang was conflicted by the sight as they showed Kaizo, his parents and friends

Fang was conflicted by the sight as they showed Kaizo, his parents and friends. All of them talking about him as whatever he heard before, the trauma of imperfectionism slowly being removed by the words. He saw the wedding of his brother, he reached his hand for that particular memory, eyes widened to here, 'You raised your brother better than we could ever have... I feel bad for... for everything that I mistakenly took for granted.' His father spoke with a sullen tone. Kaizo gave his father a small smile, 'I didn't do much... but just to make sure he lived well... I didn't need a perfect brother. I just wanted him healthy and alive... and loves me just as I do to him.'

Bentley watched with an encouraging gaze, seeing Fang's tears fall as he saw the shadowy figments behind them disappear into a pile of dust as the light figment followed suit, 'they can break it, huh...' Bentley closed his palm as the images disappeared, Fang sniffling as he quickly wiped his tears off, "Now, we need to find the portal you'd need to get out of here. We don't have a lot of time before your body outside becomes a rotten vegetable." Bentley stated as Fang looked at him with confusion, but didn;t question him further as they sped off towards the clocktower that was farther away than what Fang thought.