Chapter 28

A T H E N A

"You got a fetish for my love, I push you out and you come right back. Don't see a point in blaming you, if I were you I'd do me too"

° ° °

The world comes crashing down on me, and I feel such a horrible pressure on my heart. A deep ache that has settled inside of it, and my breathing becomes heavier.

"Why are you asking honey?" mom asks. My vision becomes blurry of all the tears I try to keep in and am glad she has her back turned on me. I try not to let my voice break when I talk.

"Just curious. I-I never saw him with a woman before so..." I chuckle rather forced. "Oh, okay. Yeah, she was his high-school sweet heart," she says, "I wonder what she's doing back here."

I can't hear anything more from his past love-life. "I– uh... I need to go," I say and rush out of the kitchen, to my bedroom. A lonely tear escapes out of my eye which I quickly wipe away.

You shouldn't be crying over him.

I get to my room and jump on my bed, grasping my pillow and holding it tightly against my chest.

I feel something vibrating against my butt-cheek, and I grab my phone from my pocket. I unlock my phone and go to my messages, to see that I've received something from Vincenzo.

Vincenzo; Can we talk?

I roll my eyes and throw my phone away on the other side of the bed. My lower lip starts trembling, and this time I let the tears fall freely, letting them wet my face and pillow.

His ex-fiancée.

Of course, she would be his ex-fiancée, she's beautiful and kind – I guess. Why were they talking to each other? Why is she here? Does she want to try again? Is that why Vincenzo left me this morning? To go see her and talk about their past?

I recall her calling him Vincenzo, and I remember him telling me I was the only one who called him that.

You're overreacting.

The look on his face when he saw me. Like he didn't want me there.

I feel a pang go through my chest at the memory, and more tears are falling down.

Maybe I deserve this.

I broke Chris' heart and I lied to everyone's face. I've been so selfish...

My phone brings me out of my thoughts, and I look at the screen to see who's calling. Vincenzo.

I roll my eyes again and decline the phone-call. He can go f–

My phone rings again, and I see he's calling me again. I mute my phone and put it on the nightstand, ignoring his calls.

Screw Vincenzo Amoretto.

° ° °

After having cried the whole afternoon, I fell asleep and wake up with the sky turning a soft pink mingled with orange.

I rub the sleep from my eyes and get up from bed. When I check my clock, I see that it's 8 PM. I let out a small yawn and grab my phone. My lips part in surprise when I see all the missed calls and texts I got from Vincenzo.

Vincenzo; Baby girl, answer please

Vincenzo; Why aren't you picking up?

Vincenzo; Pick up the damn phone, Athena

Vincenzo; This isn't funny, Athena

Vincenzo; If you want to be like this, I'll have to come over

The last one was sent 20 minutes ago. Shaking my head, I put my phone back; he's just bluffing.

But somewhere in the back of my mind, I know that that's something Vincenzo would do.

I grab my pajamas I got for Christmas from Lucy and a fresh panty. I walk out of my room, into the bathroom. While walking into the hallway to the bathroom, I hear laughter coming from downstairs.

I instantly recognize one voice, and all the hairs on my body stand up at the sound of the one person I don't want to see.

He was serious.

I hurry into the bathroom and lock the door behind me, my breathing heaving and my heart pounding in my chest.

What is he doing here? What if he comes upstairs and I have to face him?

I just need to shower long enough so he will miss me. But I know that in the end it always goes as he wants, and this time isn't an exception.

° ° °

After having showered unacceptably long, I get out of the shower and dry myself. I rub coco-scented body-lotion over my body and pull my hair out of my bun.

I drop my clothes in the laundry basket and quickly brush my hair. After everything's done, I unlock the door and step outside.

But I freeze mid-step when I see Vincenzo standing in front of my door, still in his suit and his hand stuffed into his pocket, about to knock on it but his head turns into my direction. I've never wanted the ground to swallow me up this badly.

Our eyes meet, and for a second my heart stops at seeing him. His eyes rake over my body, and I can't help but blush under his gaze. My body heats up under his stare, betraying my mind.

And I know that as soon as he parts his lips to say something, I'll be under his spell again and let him ruin me.