23

23, My core strength

"I'm planning to go somewhere... Uhm, probably eat and do a short road trip..." he trailed off. "Kung bang... aayain kita, ayos lang ba?"

After standing in front of each other, with him staring at me and I... unable to keep my eyes focused on him, he blurted that out.

"May gagawin ka pa bang importante?" he added using his baritone voice.

I am slightly confused so as I wiped my tears away, my eyes darted to him. I've been crying for I don't know how long and he was just quiet as he let me. It's like... he knew that what I needed was someone who'll hear my cries without having to voice out his opinion about it. He even offered me his handkerchief and now, I'm using it to dry my tears. Nakatayo rin siya, gaya ko at... panaka-naka ang pagbuntong-hininga.

"Where?" I asked back. "Uh... where is that somewhere?"

I still have my midterm plate at home but I'm left with two days before the submission date of that. Actually... my plan for today is to just rest. I've been reviewing all these days and I finished my other projects too. Isa pa... kinakain ako ng mga kaganapan mula kanina. I don't think I can put all my heart and mind on to my midterm plate for my design subject.

Safe bit his lower lip before looking at the side of the parking space.

"May bagong bukas na food park. Along the way lang..."

"Uh, where? Uhm... I'm not gonna do anything important today... anymore..." I said as I folded the hankie, sniffing a bit.

"Okay." he sighed and bit his lip, staring at me. He was waiting for my answer. "So..."

"Okay..." I agreed silently, even when I'm not sure where he'll be taking me. He looked at me with his brows raising a little. He's back on his normal expression now. Gone are the furrowed brows of him at the sight of my swollen cheek. "Okay... I'll go with you."

No matter where we'll go, I'll just put my trust in his name. I will be safe, 'cause he is, too... in the very first place.

He said we won't go beyond the boarders of Sta. Monica's roads. We agreed on using our own vehicles because I need to go home first and change my clothes. He said okay and he'll follow my car. I only nodded and smiled before walking to where my car's parked and got inside the driver's seat.

That's what we did. Dumaan muna kami sa bahay at naghilamos muna ako 'saka saglit na nagpalit ng damit. I'm in my lime green oversized t-shirt, black leggings and black Vans. My hair's still untied on my back, with some of its tips flowing above my chest. The sky's getting dark and the weather isn't really that hot so I think... riding on his motorcycle with him won't be a bad idea. Mas hindi maganda kung naka-sasakyan ako habang siya, naka-motor pa, gayong iisa lang naman ang pupuntahan naming dalawa.

I politely told him to get inside the house first while waiting for me but he declined. Kaya nag-lip balm na lang ako matapos mapunasan ang specs at sunod iyong isinuot. The frame of my specs is now on a lighter shade of silver, and is still thin, just like the previous one I used. I went downstairs again after all that.

I'm bringing my small brown leather backpack. What's inside are my simple necessities– phone, wallet and handkerchief. But yes, I know I shouldn't cry anymore. I can use that one for other reasons, not just for my cries, I know.

"Let's... uh, go?" I asked after locking the gates.

Safe was silently waiting outside for me, his lower back slightly leaning on his motorcycle with his feet kinda crossed. He nodded slowly before handing the helmet to me.