Chapter12

Zarah...
"Zarah, wake up!" Anty Ramla's voice pierced through my sleep. "It's already 11:15 am, Zarah. Aren't you the one who said you have a test at 11:40?" I groggily opened my eyes, still trying to shake off the sleep. "Why should I wake up?" I mumbled, not fully registering what she said.

"Zarah, do you forget about the test?" Anty Ramla asked, making my eyes flutter open. "Holy moly!" I exclaimed, immediately getting down from the bed. I have completely forgotten about Mr. Kashim's test today. I slept late yesterday, and all thanks to Abdul, I have been thinking about him the whole night.

I rushed to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, and washed my face. "I'll take my bath after I get back," I thought, slipping on my hijab over my pajamas. Who cares about dressing up, anyway? No one can see me, and I don't have time for powder or extra grooming. I just prayed I would get to school on time. I quickly grabbed my perfume and gave myself a quick spray before heading out.

I grabbed my school bag and rushed towards the parlor, but no one is there. I hear their voices in the kitchen, so I ran to Anty Ramla's room and quickly sprayed her perfume on myself. I loved the scent of her perfume, which Uncle Isma'il had brought for her - her soon-to-be husband. If she noticed the scent on me, I'd be in trouble, so for my own good, I made a quick exit.

When I came out, they are both in the kitchen. I rushed to grab my phone and shouted loudly, "Ammi, I'm going! I'm running late, but I'll be back early. Don't worry, I have some money with me." I didn't wait for her response and hurried out the door. To my surprise, I saw Ya Hafiz about to leave, and he offered to drop me off. "Alhamdulillah, we've finished writing the test, and the questions were very easy, not as difficult as we thought.

Since there is no more lectures for the day, I headed back home with Ama and Farida. Those kids have been disturbing me all morning, I have to tell them about how we ended up with Abdul yesterday. Ama has already filled Farida in on all the details.

As soon as we got back home, they started bombarding me with questions. "Ya Allah, guys, at least let me rest first! I haven't even had breakfast yet, and I'm starving!" I pleaded.

"Kinsan Allah, you won't even drink water if you don't tell us,"

"You guys should continue swearing because I won't tell you anything until I give my stomach what it wants." I tried to stand up, but they pulled me back, eager to hear the story.

"Ahhhh! Ammi, these kids will kill your daughter!" I exclaimed. "Okay, wait, I'll tell you," I said, starting to narrate what happened.

"Ah ah! They started teasing me. I guess your dream is about to come true, Fareeda," they said, chuckling.

"I don't think so, because Abdul is madly in love with his so called girlfriend."

"Just have faith, Zarah. Sometimes, some relationships start with just simple friendship, and with time, I bet he'll definitely fall head over heels for you. You have my word, Zarah," Ama added.

I pressed my lips together, praying that it might come true. "Let me eat my breakfast, wallah, I'm damn hungry," I muttered, exiting the room.

I headed straight to the kitchen, where I saw Ammi and Anty Ramla cooking. "Ammi, what's going on in this house today?" I asked, opening the warmers on the counter. "

Anty Sadiya and Mardiya are coming," Anty Ramla replied. Well, Anty Sadiya is Ammi's immediate sister, while Anty Mardiya is my father's sister; they both live in Lagos."

"Any special occasion coming that I don't know?" I asked, raising my brows.

"Did you forget that next week, Ramla's in-laws will bring the betrothal gift?" Ammi reminded me.