Chapter16

Abdullah..
I paced back and forth in my room, my eyes blazing with a fierce intensity. My lower lip was raw from biting it, and my eyes were bloodshot from the tears I'd cried. "This is too much," "I can't take it anymore. I'm just waiting for tomorrow. Wallah, Abba will regret what he said. This is a promise. Not even Ummi will stop me this time."

I collapsed onto the edge of my bed, my eyes closing as a flood of memories came rushing back. Abba's voice echoed in my head, as clear as if he were standing right there. "You and your wicked mother get out of my house!" he had yelled. I remembered my own voice, small and trembling, "Abba, please stop yelling at her." But he had just kept going, his words cutting deep. "I hate you and your kids, Amina. Rukkaiya, get out of here. You're nothing but an imposter. You and your kids mean nothing to me."

The memories were too much to bear. I let out a scream and slammed my fists into the bed, tears streaming down my face. "I hate my father!" I cried out loud. "I hate him so much. I wish he is dead."

"I made a promise to myself that Muhammad Bello would come begging for our forgiveness on his knees,". "He abandoned us,. They maltreated us so badly that I think even an animal couldn't be treated the way they treated us."

"Abdullah, are you out of your mind?" my mother asked, concern etched on her face.

"Yes, I am!" I replied, slamming the lamp on the bedside table. "Ummi, wallah, that man will pay for what he has done. I promise he won't sleep peacefully anymore."

"No, Abdullah, calm down," she hug me tightly. She coaxed me to lay on her lap, soothing me with comforting words. I didn't realize when my eyelids grow heavy, and I fell asleep, still seething with anger and determination.

****

The next day, I woke up to the sound of someone making a call beside me. I slowly opened my eyes to find Sufyan sitting there. I closed them again, not ready to face him yet.

I got out of bed without a word and began my morning routine, brushing my teeth and taking a bath. I picked out a black pair of jeans and a red plaid shirt from my closet, then headed to my vanity to spritz some perfume and brush my hair.

Sufyan watched me with a curious expression, asking, "Ah'ah, hadha alnawe min alsulsa ayn hi ant eunwan?" (This kind of dressing, where are you heading to, Zarah or Asma?). I ignored him, not in the mood for conversation, and he knew it.

"Hey, I'm talking to you!" but I just picked up my phone and headed for the door. I twisted the door knob, only to find it locked.

I whipped my head around to face Sufyan, who is still typing on his phone with a masked expression. "Aftah albab!" (Open the door!) I demanded.

Sufyan looked up, a hint of a smile on his face. "So, you finally decided to talk," I won't open the door unless you tell me where the hell you're going."

I shouted, "Open the damn door, now!" but he ignored me, his eyes fixed on his phone. I stormed back to the door, and when I realized he wouldn't budge, I tossed my phone onto the bed in frustration. I sat down, biting my lower lip, trying to calm down.

Sufyan walked over to me and punched me on the shoulder. "You're not going to do anything stupid," he warned . "So just stop thinking about it." I winced, knowing he can read me like a book.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked, looking at him with a mix of anger and confusion.

Sufyan's expression turned cold. "My problem is you, man," he hissed. "Why can't you let Ummi live in peace?"

"I'm going out," he stood up handing me the door key. "Whatever you feel is right, then do it, Abdul." I hold his hand.

"Sorry," I exclaim , but he whipped his face away. "I don't want your sorry.

What do you want, then? A promise...just promise me that you won't do anything stupid that will make Ummi sad or cry. Just promise."

"You won't promise me, right?" he,walk towards the door.

"No, wait! I...I promise you, I won't do anything to hurt Ummi, but..."

"Bro, why can't you understand things? Why can't you understand what Ummi is going through? Whenever she sees you in that situation..."

"Why, Abdul? Try to keep your anger in check. The problem is with you, Abdul. If you try to control your anger, nothing will happen to you or to Ummi. I hate to see you like this. Do you have any idea how she feels when she sees you like this?"

"Wallahi , Abdul, I never swore to you about anything, but I did today. I did today because I saw Ummi crying her heart out today..."

But it's fine, continue what you feel is right for you. If getting angry and making Ummi cry is the best for you, then that's good for you." I bit my lips, choosing not to respond.

"Let's go to Ummi's place, you should greet her." I nodded, and he added, "Won't I get a kiss?"

I punched his shoulder, laughing. "Not even a hug," I mumbled, and we returned to our normal banter as we walked towards Ummi's room.

Along the way, Sufyan mentioned his new girlfriend, but how he didn't love her. I burst out laughing, and he continued, "You won't get it, bro. She's so clingy, and I hate that."

We entered Ummi's room, where she's watching TV. "Ummi," I exclaim , snuggling into her lap.

Kayfa halik?" (How are you doing?) she asked, stroking my hair.

"Alhamdulillah, Ummi. Ina asif hawl fi al-ams" (I'm sorry about yesterday), I replied. She smiled, and Sufyan went to the dining area for breakfast.

Ummi whispered, "Please try to control your anger, Abdul. I don't like seeing you in that situation."

"Okay, Ummi, let me have my breakfast first." I walked towards the dining area, where my phone suddenly rang. I saw Asma's name on the screen and answered the call. We talked for a few minutes before I ended the call.

Sufyan pointed to the ring on the table"That ring I saw in our room, I picked it up." "Whose ring is that?

Zarah's,.She gave it to me yesterday."He handed me the ring,.

Tell me, are you in love with Zarah?" Sufyan asked directly.

I sighed, "How many times do I need to tell you, Sufyan? I don't love her! I agree, whenever I'm with her, I feel these unusual feelings, but that doesn't mean I'm in love with her."

He burst out laughing, holding his stomach. "We've come to the place, Mister! Agree or not, you are in love!"

"I'm not!!" I exclaimed, throwing a spoon at him. He let out a hearty laughter, teasing me about having two wives. I ignored him and continued with my breakfast, not wanting to engage in his banter. I know what I felt for Zarah is nothing compared to love; it's just a strong friendship.

I hope you are saying the truth Abdul you don't love her well let's wait and see...

Ummeetarh05 ❤️