Chapter29

Abdullah..
"Ya Sadeeq, what did Abba tell you?" I asked again, unsure about what I had heard.

"You heard me clearly, right? They said you can't marry their daughter alongside someone else on the same day. It's either you marry Fatima first, then Asma after a month, or you marry Asma first, then Fatima after two months.

Ya Allah!" I exclaimed, massaging my beard. "What else did he say, ya Sadeeq?" I asked, seeking clarification.

he took another file from his desk, "Uncle Ibrahim also spoke to them, but her uncle still disagreed. So, when Abba spoke, he said they would think about it...

Think, ku...ma yaya, uhum... Toh, did they collect what the I forget the name ?

"Kudin gaisuwa.

yes!" I snapped, remembering.

"Yeah, they did, and luckily, the marriage has been fixed for the next four months. But still, they didn't agree about the join marriage with Asma, and her uncle is talking about her studies..."

"He looked up, thinking, 'These people won't agree their daughter's education; what do you think?' You're marrying her off, and her studies are the point - from Kaduna to Abuja.

No, yaya, she will continue her studies; I'm thinking of transferring her to Baze University here."

"That sounds good and a great idea," he replied.

But yaya, wallahi, I can marry both of them off at the same time. Please talk to Abba; he should contact her uncle again." Abdul pleaded.

"And why will I...? Am I your child?

No, yaya, but..." i trailed off.

"See, lil, what he did wasn't right, but he regrets it. He acknowledged his mistakes; can't you forgive and move on?" Ya Sadeeq asked.

I shake  my head, emotions swirling. "How can I? You're siding with him after everything we endured?"

His  expression turned calm. "I'm not taking his side, lil. Allah loves those who forgive. We know who manipulated Abba into divorcing Ummi and fueling his hatred towards you and your sister."His words struck a chord, but the past lingered.

"What's Abba's fault here?" Ya Sadeeq pressed.
My anger, hurt, and frustration simmered.

"That man begged Ummi, your sister, and you for forgiveness, didn't he?" He  pressed, his voice rising. "And after I explained everything, they forgave him, right?"

I remained silent, tuning him out. Didn't they forgive him?" He  repeated, his eyes locked on mine.

I hesitated before responding, "They did."

"Then why can't you forgive him, Abdul? Give him a chance, please. I'm begging you."

"I can't... after everything he did  stop begging me. I need time to think," I stood up.

"Okay, but Don't ever come here again until  when you're ready to give your father a chance."

I nodded, exiting the office, and headed home, seeking solace.After freshening up, I lay on my bed, eyes closed, weighed down by exhaustion and the looming marriage issue.Ummi's decision is  clear; she wouldn't intervene.My mind raced with thoughts of Abba, his past wrongs, and Ya Sadeeq's pleas for forgiveness.

******************
One months later..
"A month has passed, yet nothing's changed. Zarah's family still hesitates about the marriage, while Abba tries to make amends, despite my silence. Sufyan's absence weighs heavily on me, making work unbearable.today, Zarah's visiting to help her sister with the upcoming birth."

My phone buzzed beside me. Ya Sadeeq's message brought a smile.he's  still distant, insisting we can't go back to normal until I forgive Abba  an impossible feat.Yet, he's been frequently visiting Ummi, leaving me curious.

"What's he's  planning?"

"Lucky you, I was informed today that they agreed," he wrote. My lips curled into a thin line. I stood up from the bed, wanting to share the news with Ummi first. I slid my leg into my shoes and walked out of my room...

I approached the house, a swarm of unfamiliar cars and stern security personnel flooded the premises, sending my anxiety spiking. I hesitated, sensing something is  amiss.Nearing the parlour, Abba's booming voice echoed through the doorway, reigniting my simmering resentment.

I spun around, desperate to escape before Ummi noticed me, but her sharp tone caught me.

"Come back here!" she shouted.My heart sank. I can't bear another rift with Ummi, still remembering the painful silence that lasted weeks.

Breathing deeply, I masked my emotions with a forced smile and stepped into the parlour.Ummi, you called?" I asked, bracing myself for the confrontation.

"Greetings would be nice, Abdullah . Is that not how I raised you?" Ummi scolded. "Wallahi , kun hadhiran maei (be careful with me)."

Abba intervened, "Let him be, it's nothing."

But Ummi insisted, "

ina- wuni Abba ," I mumbled reluctantly, avoiding his  gaze. swiftly exiting the parlour.

"Why is Ummi doing this to me?" frustration and desperation swelling within me.I grabbed my car keys and fled the house, seeking solace from the suffocating tension.

Ummeetarh05