Chapter19

Zarah ...
I blinked repeatedly, ensuring I wasn't dreaming. Abdul has proposed!Though I'd fantasized about this, I never thought he'd confess his love.

"Zarah, it's 12:20. I shouldn't keep Sufyan waiting," he said, brows arched.

"I hope I won't regret giving you a chance, Abdul," I managed, calming myself.

"Should I take it as a yes?" he asked.

I nodded, smiling.

"Thank you, Zarah. You won't regret it, Insha Allah," he whispered.

"Good night."

"Night!" I replied, exiting the car.

I rushed inside, ecstatic.

"Unbelievable! Something I never imagined possible!"

Basking in joy, I delayed entering the estate, smiling.

The next morning, bustling noises surrounded me. I opened my eyes, stretched, and recited my morning dua.

Abdul's message popped up on my screen.

"Good morning, beautiful."

I replied, smiling.

"Nothing makes me happier than having a handsome, caring guy like you as my boyfriend."

*****

Two years later
Time flew. Days turned into weeks, weeks into months, and months into years. My relationship with Abdul continued to flourish.

He is  the epitome of a gentleman  caring, calm, and thoughtful. Whenever possible, he'd travel from Abuja to Kaduna, just to see me.After our exams, Alhamdulillah, we had a two-week break. I planned to spend it at Aunt Ramlah's house.

I admired Abdul's accomplishments. He has co-founded A&S Engineering Services with his cousin, Sufyan. Their strong bond is  inspiring.I checked the time - 2:30 pm - I awaited Abdul's arrival. Despite my protests, he insisted on driving me to Aunt Ramlah's.

"Our family is aware of our relationship, and Abdul has expressed his desire to meet his father to discuss our marriage. As for his other girlfriend, whom I have never meet, I have spoken to her once over the phone, and she didn't come across as particularly pleasant. However, Abdul assured me that she is kind and friendly; it is just that I haven't meet her in person. He also mentioned that he isn't on good terms with her mother."

"Speaking of which, tomorrow is my birthday, and I'll be turning 22, Insha Allah. I was lost in thought, I heard my mother calling out my name. I responded and made my way to the parlor, where I was surprised to see Abdul sitting on the couch, looking handsome and captivating in his sky-blue kaftan. He always looked dashing in traditional attire."

"I quickly returned to my room, wrapped my veil, and adjusted my fitted gown with a beautiful blue and orange pattern. I added a bit more perfume and walked back out to meet Abdul, who smiled and raised an eyebrow in admiration."

"We should get going," he exclaimed, glancing at his wristwatch. "Today is Friday, and I have to be at the masjid by one o'clock." I returned to my room, slipped on my shoes, grabbed my bag and suitcase, and joined Abdul outside. With his help, he loaded the suitcase into the car and waited patiently for me."

" I walked back to my mother's place, she handed me a package wrapped in leather, instructing me to give it to Aunt Ramlah. I am sure what it is , but I nodded obediently."

Mrs. Abdul, how are you doing?' He asked as he started the car.

I rolled my eyes, responding with a teasing 'Not yet, mister!' which made him chuckle."

I'm just dying to have you, Zarah!' he exclaimed.

What do you mean, ?' I asked, my face twisting in confusion, while Abdul let out a soft smile. '

You have a dirty mind, Zarah,''I meant that I'm dying to see you as my wife. I can't wait for this to become official.'"

"Oh, so do I, Abdullah," I replied, my heart racing with excitement.

"Fadimatu Zarah'u," he said with a chuckle, "why do you always get upset when I call you by your full name? It's beautiful, Fadimatu Zarah'u."I've been thinking about you all day," he said, his eyes locked on mine.

"That's not true," I playfully accused, "where's your other girlfriend?"

"She's right here with me," he replied, "Babe, you didn't sing your favorite song to me today."

I let out a laughter. "Why would I sing it?" I asked, my voice teasing.

"You always sing it to me, what happened today?" Abdul asked, and then he began to sing the first lyrics in a mockingly high-pitched voice, "Wataran watarana Za'a kaini gidan ka matsayin matar ka Na matsu naga wanan ranan." It was so accurate that it made me burst out laughing. I always sing this song to him, and that's where he learned it from. At first, he didn't understand the meaning of the song because he's not into Hausa music, and I had to explain it to him. I was impressed to see that he can now sing it fluently, unlike before.

"Crazy and cheesy," I laughed, shaking my head.

Abdul dropped me off at Aunt Ramlah's house, greeting her warmly despite my insistence that he shouldn't. Abdul can be very stubborn at times, but it's one of the things I love about him.

***

"The next day, I received birthday wishes from friends and family, but Abdul was the first person to wish me a happy birthday. He stayed awake all night, and we chatted on the phone from around 10 pm to 12 am. He made sure to wish me before going to bed. Faruoq also called me, saying he'd take me out, but I told him I wasn't in Kaduna. Today is my birthday, but I'm feeling so lazy, I didn't even take a bath, just lounging around."

My phone rang, and I saw Sufyan's face on the screen. I quickly put on my hijab and swiped to answer the call. "Happy birthday, our wifey!" he said with a soft smile on his face.

"Thank you, Sufyan," I replied, smiling.

"So, tell me, how many years are you now?" he asked, arching his brow exactly like Abdul used to do.

"40 years," I teased, playfully.

He let out a hearty laughter. "40 years, Zarah? Are you serious?"

Then, he turned the camera to Abdul, who didn't even look up, engrossed in his phone. He's clad in sweatpants and a black tee, sitting on the edge of their bed, looking handsome as always. I frowned slightly, feeling a little disappointed that he didn't even acknowledge me.