Chapter14

Zarah
How many have I eaten now?" I muttered, my eyes brimming with silent tears from the hot pepper. "I made a promise, and here I am." "Chuchu, how many have I eaten now?" I exclaimed, looking at him. "Two," he mumbled, looking at me. "There are two more left."

I begged, "Get me some water, quickly! I'm dying, I can barely speak!"

Chuchu hesitated, "Aunty Zarah, you said no water."

I pleaded, "Chuchu, I'm dying! The plan has changed. Go get me some water, and don't let Ammi see you. I promise to buy you chocolates."

He quickly ran out of the room and returned with water in hand. I opened my mouth wide, and he poured it in. Just then, my phone started ringing. I was in no condition to answer it, so Chuchu picked up the call. I have no idea who's on the other end of the line.

Chuchu, throw this away," I mumbled , defeated. "I give up. I can't kill myself." I let out a painful scream, which prompted Ammi to enter the room. I quickly pushed the plate out of her sight.

What's wrong with you?" she asked, concerned. I can't respond, so Chuchu intervened, saving me from trouble.

Ammi, ulcer," he said, and I sighed in relief, grateful that I wasn't in trouble.

"Where's your medicine?" Ammi questioned
and I struggled to respond, "I...I...it has finished!" She left the room, and I instructed Chuchu, "Take this plate to the kitchen and get me my ice cream from the fridge. Hurry, before Ammi comes back!" He returned with the ice cream before my mother came back, and I devoured almost half of it, feeling relieved.

After a while, my mother entered my room again and handed me some medicine. After taking it, I don't know when I fell asleep.

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing beside me, so I stretched out my hand to pick up the call. "Hello?" I muttered in my sleepy voice. "What's your address again?" the caller asked, and I couldn't recall it.

His cool voice hit me like a splash of water, and I immediately fluttered my eyes open. To be honest, this guy has a really cool voice! I quickly told him my address, "God, did I actually sleep?"

After the call, I took a hot shower and headed to my closet to find an appropriate dress. I grabbed a pair of straight-leg jeans and a white top, slipping into them quickly. Then, I put on my black abaya over them. I packed my messy hair, which I had left loose the day before, and remembered that Ammi has called the woman who would braid my hair. She said she is  busy today but will  come tomorrow.

I applied some powder to my face and headed to Aunt Ramla's room, where I borrowed her lipstick, eyeliner, and mascara. I applied them in front of her mirror and admired myself. "I do look beautiful, Masha Allah," I thought, feeling confident and ready for the day.

I sprayed Aunt Ramla's perfume and then headed back to my room. I brought out my bracelet and wristwatch and clasped them on my wrist. Next, I grabbed my MK bag and my shoes - I'm a fan of high heels, so almost all my shoes are heels, except for the ones I wear to school.

my phone rang, and I picked it up immediately. He told me he is outside, and suddenly, I felt nervous. "Ya Allah, I'm nervous," cracking my knuckles.

I wrapped my abaya veil over my hair and slipped my phone into my bag. I took one last look at myself in the mirror and then walked out.

I have told Ammi that I was going out with a friend yesterday, and she had allowed it. I went to her room to let her know I am leaving, and she reminded me not to stay out late. With that, I headed out and spotted Chuchu on his bicycle, playing with our neighbors. "Aunty Zarah, don't forget my chocolate,

I won't I replied."

The black Mercedes was parked, and I walked towards it gently. He unlocked the car as soon as he saw me and let me in. Our eyes locked for a second before we broke eye contact, and I felt butterflies in my stomach. He looked incredibly handsome in his white kaftan, with his matching cap resting on the dashboard.

I greeted him, and he responded with a soft smile on his face. "Zarah!" he exclaimed, looking at me. "I finally get to see you again." He said it in a way that made my heart flutter. I turned my head towards the window to hide my red face.

"Zarah!" he called again. I turned to look at him. "Call Chuchu so I can see him. I saw you talking to him." Oh, he has been watching us! "I called Chuchu, and he came over, greeting him with a hi-fi laugh. I just hoped this chatterbox didn't tell him about the chili I ate...

He handed Chuchu something in a cute goodies bag, but I have no idea what's inside. "I'll let you guys know when I come back," Chuchu left without even looking at me, but I made a mental note to catch up with him later.

As we drove off, he asked, "So, where are we heading to?"

"Any nice place?" I suggested.

He massaged his beard thoughtfully and replied, "I don't know many places here, so let's go to Shifu.

Once we arrived, we placed our orders,"Tell me more about yourself, Zarah."

He kept his phone on the table, giving me his full attention. I began, "Well, like you know, I'm Zarah Tukur, living with my family here in U/Sarki. My father passed away some years back." He expressed his condolences with a sympathetic

Oh, sorry."

I nodded, wearing a smile on my face, and continued, "I have siblings - Ya Hafiz, Aunty Ramla, Chuchu, and me."

"Such a wonderful family, and your age?" he asked, to which I replied, "20 years."

He responded with a casual "Oh, nice..." which didn't quite sit well with me."What else do you want him to say, Zarah? You're being stupid!"

"You don't tell me about our new boyfriend..." His lips curled into a thin line.

"God, this guy! I've told you about him, what else do you want to hear?" Tell me about you.

He smiled, "You know me, there's nothing more to say."

"That's not fair, you know that right? I told you everything about myself, and you..." He chuckled

What do you want to know about me, Zarah?"

"Everything, I replied.

He let out a hearty laughter. "My name, for starters," he replied with a grin. "Okay, my name is Abdullah Muhammad Bello. I live with my mom and my sister, who's married with a daughter named Ihsan." He continued, "I'm in my final year at Oxford University, studying engineering, specifically aerospace engineering. What else do you want to know?"

I asked about his family, "You never mention your father." His face expression changed, and I sensed a hint of sadness, but he quickly recovered with a smile. "I'll tell you, but not now, maybe some other day," and I nodded understandingly.

I changed the subject, "Where's my rival?" I asked, referring to his chewing gum, Sufyan.