Chapter5

Zarah
Saturday finally arrived, a sweet escape from the relentless school grind. "Who said school is easy?"
the past month had blurred together in a haze of lectures and assignments, but Alhamdulillah, I'd survived.my excitement is  short-lived,  as I stumbled upon a shocking discovery Abdul has  joined Instagram! I squealed, jumping and dancing like a fool upon seeing his profile.

And then, I saw his picture... He looked breathtakingly handsome, leaving me utterly smitten. my euphoria is  fleeting. Abdul haven't replied to or liked any of my comments. Talk about a buzzkill!

Things worsened when I discovered he is dating Asma'u Abubakar Bulama, daughter of the former governor of Katsina State. She embodied everything I am not : stunning, intelligent, and accomplished I felt hopeless, like my world is  crumbling. "Why would someone like him consider me when he has someone like her?" I

As I scrolled through their pictures, my heart sank. They looked perfect together.

As much as it pained me to admit, the truth is  undeniable: Abdul and Asma'u are  deeply in love. Their relationship is  a fairytale, leaving me questioning if I'd ever stood a chance.

Abdul's family is  well aware of their relationship, and yesterday's comment from Asma'u on his post was proof. I can't  shake off the jealousy, wallah! It is  crazy, but I can't  deny my feelings.Ama has been right; I'd been crushing on Abdul hard, and he is  oblivious. I felt invisible.

This morning, his latest post announced his return to Nigeria. My mind raced: is  he back for Asma'u or something else only God knows?

My heart ached, and I couldn't help but wonder:

Will Abdul ever notice me?
Can I ever compete with Asma'u?
Should I keep loving him from afar?

The thought of Abdul back in the country, possibly with Asma'u, consumed me. I needed to shake off this fantasy and face reality: Abdul is out of my league.Glancing at the clock, I saw it is  1:30 pm. I get out of bed, feeling sluggish, and headed to the shower. Wrapped in a towel, my mind wandered back to Abdul's post announcing his return.

Is  he back for Asma'u or another reason?

After dressing in comfortable jeans and a black oversized shirt, I plugged in my phone to charge and silenced it, avoiding potential calls from Farooq.

I have almost forgotten to mention my encounter with Ama the next day at school. We hadn't spoken in a week, but she apologized for her behavior, explaining Farooq has been bothering her. I forgave her, of course I can't stay mad at her.

As I reflected on our conversation, I realized Ama's struggles with Farooq mirrored my own unrequited love for Abdul. We both needed to move on.

I headed to the kitchen to prepare lunch  spaghetti and stew. I settled down to eat, Aunty Ramla  has left for the studio. I planned to follow her later, hoping to persuade her to give  me some money. Her shop is at U/Dosa, but I lacked transportation fare.

I decided to ask Ammi for money, hoping she'd oblige. "Where's Chuchu?" I asked.

"They've gone to the barber shop," Ammi replied.
She  added, "Tomorrow, you and Ramla are attending Hajiya Shamsiya's house for Iklima's wedding dinner at 8:00 pm."

Ammi, honestly, I don't want to go! Besides, who will take us there?" I whined, almost choking on my food. The invitation on the TV stand hold no interest for me.

Ammi reassured, "They'll provide cars, and Ramla is doing the bride's makeup. You can go with her."

I pouted, "Okay, fine."

Ammi isn't  having my attitude. She smacked my mouth,"Stand up, and don't make me slap you!"

I quickly obeyed, pleading, "Ammi, please, just give me N100. I want to go to Anty Ramla's shop."

She  raised an eyebrow, skeptical.

"Why do you need money?" Ammi asked, eyes narrowing. "Where's your money? Hafiz gave you N2000 yesterday. What did you do with it?"

I explained, "Ammi, I used it to subscribe to a plan. I don't think he'll give me more if I ask. Please, just N300."

Ammi relented, "Go inside my bag and take it."

I thanked her and grabbed the money. As I stepped out to find a cab, ya Hafiz  car pulled up in front of me.

"Where are you going?" he asked, curious.

"Anty Ramla's shop, please, ya hafiz ," I replied, squinting from the sun. "Drop me off. This sun is scorching, Save my poor skin."

"Enter..

I hopped in, grateful.

"Kai, Chuchu, what are you eating?" I asked, noticing Chuchu's ice cream.

Chuchu showed me his treat.

"Ya Hafiz, where's mine?" I questioned , pretending to pout. "Did you keep some for me?"

quiet before I throw you out if you disturb me."

***

They  dropped me off at Aunt Ramla's shop, and I stepped out, waving goodbye as they drove away.

Inside, Aunt Ramla have a queue of five customers. "Aunt Ramla, aren't you happy to see me?" I asked, trying to sound innocent.

She raised an eyebrow. "Why would I be happy, knowing you only visit me when you want something?"

I chuckled. She knows  me too well.

"Aunt Ramla, you're my one and only, wallah! If you get married, I'll miss you so much. The house will be boring without you. Did Ammi tell you about the wedding?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Yes, she did," she  replied, her focus still on her customers.

I took a deep breath. "About my share and my makeup ..."

She interrupted, "Where's the money? You need to pay me; last time, you didn't pay me."

I protested, "Aunt Ramla, last time, it was Ya Hafiz who said he will  pay you, not me!"

She  Ramla looked unconvinced. I tried another tactic. "Aunt Ramla, will you do my makeup tomorrow before we leave? I know you'll be busy with the bride's makeup, but please don't say no. I'll be so grateful."

We'll see about that. First, clear your debt."

"Aunty  Ramla, please, I promise to return your lipstick, and also I want us to make a deal. That's why I came.

"Ya Hafix bought ice cream for Chuchu but not for me," I  pout . "Everyone knows ice cream is my favorite. Please, just give me the money so I can stop asking you guys for stuff. If I have  a real boyfriend, I can  call him and ask him to bring me ice cream, and he'd do it right away."

Anty Ramla throw a comb at me, laughing. "Keep quiet, chatterbox! Aren't you tired of talking?"

I refused to leave until she relented.

"Fine, take this," she  hand me N1,200. "N1,000 for ice cream and N200 for transport. Now, go!"

I beamed, grateful. "Wallah, I love my siblings a lot."

I headed to Smart Kid, bought my ice cream, and hid the remaining money for my next subscription.

What did you guys think about the wedding??

Vote
Comments
Share

Ummeetarh05 🌹