Review - Our Bitter, Beautiful Lives

Author : picklejuice100

Introduction -

Title: The first time I read the title, I was honestly surprised. Bitter yet beautiful, what an interesting combination, just fitting for your unique story. I am not gonna lie, but my first thought when I saw the title was that it would be a love story, but I am very glad I am surprised. This is so much more, and better.

Cover: Your cover was fabulously fantastic. Starting from the image of the two friends, to the little details -the brush, the specs, the colour splash (No Offense but it did look out of place in the colour scheme - but again it is a colour splash) or the phone. The typography suited well with the theme of the cover. Good job there! I hope you don't mind that I am taking a little bit of lenience here to say that your cover was a bit misleading.... I felt that Raj deserves to be put on the cover as well, but again it's just my opinion....

Blurb: Short and sweet, with just enough information to excite reades to give in. But again, I'd like to tell that even though Raj isn't having a POV of his own, he is important enough to be featured in the blurb. Atleast, I think he does..

Summary -

Our Bitter, Beautiful Lives is an adventurous and enjoyable story of three friends passing hurdles of social unacceptance, bullying, humiliation, opposition of passion and self-acceptance. Courage comes from acceptance, so I would most definitely call it a story of courage. An impressive voyage through the troubles of budding professionals as they sail through life. I don't want to give spoilers so I am not actually going through the story but the fact is it is one of the most amazing stories I read on Wattpad.

Analysis and Evaluation -

Character Development: I have to give it to you for this dear. Each Character was very beautifully crafted and moulded. Rhea's character was es[ecially close to me. I could connect to it on a deeper level. So were those of Raj and Jeet. Each with an inhibition of his/her own fighting the world so mighty, with sheer determination and courage. Hands off to you for bringing them to life. What I think you could do better here, is you can put more emphasis on the bonds of the three main characters with their families. I think that this will allow your readers to form a deeper connection with the characters.

Sensory Flow: I loved the way you showed the rollercoaster ride of emotions of the characters. Be it when Rhea was forced to delete her account, or Jeet's fear about his truth getting out or Raj about his medical condition. It was all thrilling and exciting to read, but I have to accept that there is still scope for improvement.

Plot: I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy reading the story. It was absolutely great but I felt there were a few inconsistencies. My opinion. What happened in Rhea's life one year back? You only spoke about it in the starting chapters, what about later? Was it forgotten or just left for revealing it later. Once we get caught by a teacher, irrespective of whether the school is over or not, don't you think they will keep an eye out on you the next day in school - but again you are the writer and you know better. At one place you mentioned that the kids were in 9th grade while at another place that they were 16 years old. I was in 11th grade when I was 16. My opinion, 16years goes well with the story, because by that age even we get a basic maturity about sexuality as compared to 14 years.....

Grammar and Punctuation: I did notice a few errors but they are very inconspicuous. You did a good job with proofreading! Great job!

Conclusion -

Your story was amazing. Honestly, I loved reading it. The beautiful bond of friendship, which will always stay strong, irrespective of who you are and how you are. Your story just proves that Friendship is over any sort of barrier -be it gender, caste, creed, sexuality or status. Friendship overpowers everything. Friends are our salvation and you proved it true. Reading your story, amidst was like a breath of fresh air. Kudos to you for going with such a unique storyline!

Suggestions: I have nothing more to say than already said. All the best with your book in the future. I can definitely see it going places, with a little grooming, of course.

If anything else PM me or comment after tagging me.

Regards
Sanjana❤️
(virtueme01)

RegardsSanjana❤️(virtueme01)