Review - Romance of Portals

Author: kakolilaha6

Author: kakolilaha6

Introduction
Title – "Romance of The Portals" – the title conveys the concept of the forbidden, yet passionate love. And also it clarifies the emotional theme of the story to the readers. Thus, the title is different from the titles of most other books in the romance genre and sparks pretty much interest in the readers' mind. I personally, found it very unique!

Cover - Cover is an integral part of a book as the readers' eyes fall on it just after the title. Readers always look at the cover in search of an insight of the plot & the protagonist's/ protagonists' life.

Here, the cover is soothing and beautiful. And it does fulfil it's job. The one line description on it, evokes questions like "How do they meet?", "Will they be able to make it till the end and fight for their love? Or will be forced to live without each other's warmth?"- in the reader's mind which is much needed to hook them onto the book. The silhouettes of the two lovers, soothes the viewers' eyes. I loved the typography!

But, as we all know – "Even the best can be bettered" – the cover could represent your story a little bit better.  But then again, you are the author and you know what's best.

Blurb – Letting your readers know what the protagonist's mission is – is quite an unique idea. I've seen most authors using an interesting scene from the story or, some cliffhanger dialogues as their blurbs instead of briefing the setting and telling the readers  what to expect from the book. But I'm glad to see an exception as you didn't follow this tradition. I loved how you briefly narrated the background and also revealed the mission, letting us focus more into the main genre – the journey of two lovers through all the oddities.

Summary
"Romance of the Portals" is a mesmerizing journey of a Manugan, Veer and a human, Suhaani through all the oddities in order to be together forever. Veer is a brave knight of the mythological kingdom of Jarota. Being devoted to the Jaroti ruler, King Agnesara - he stepped forward in the time of mankind's trouble, in spite of being the youngest subject of the king.
He comes across Suhaani while swimming his way through the Indian ocean to accomplish his mission and couldn't take his eyes off her. But as her cruise kept moving, he finally, decided to board on it to get to know her.
The story takes us in a terrific adventure to some mythological lands with the felicity of pristine love.

Analysis & Evaluation
Character developments – Writing a story and developing characters on a narrative plot is much more difficult than writing from the characters' own P.O.V. And I must say you've done it very well. I loved the fact that your story have many characters (like, in the first chapter, "THE MISSION" you introduced some sages of the Jaroti Darbar as well as the commander in chief of the army) and successfully showcased the important ones and didn't highlight any irrelevant character more than it was needed.
Veer is introduced amidst his daily activities, as a very handsome man with an attractive physique and then he is introduced as a brave knight. And later, as a devoted lover. While Suhaani is introduced as a beautiful girl sailing on a luxurious cruise, then as a young physicist. And later on we come to know both of them more. I'm in awe with how you unfurled the lives of Veer and Suhaani with such a smooth pace!

Plot – The best thing about this plot is that – you've used multiple genres but you kept the main genre on focus. You tried both – Hindu mythology and Romance together – which is quite a unique combo where most people are combining romance with thriller. I loved to read something new! You've well described their own life – backgrounds and their individual journeys, as well as the one they set on together.

Descriptions – The descriptions are amazing and your vocabulary adds a magic in it which makes the readers feel and get immersed in the story. But here I'd like to state a few things that I noticed – in a few parts the descriptions seemed a little less and a little extra respectively. I think rereading would point it out to you. Otherwise I loved the descriptions.

Grammar – I've nothing to say here. Seems like you've paid enough attention in proofreading. Well done!
Sensory flow – I'm in love with the flow of the story. The pace is perfect! Though I'm not too fond of character sketches, but here I liked how you used animated and painted versions of ONLY supporting characters from the mythological world and gave us the opportunity to picture the other characters according to our own imaginations. And also, it was a great idea to put the maps of the mythological world as it makes the setting even clearer to the readers.

Conclusion
Overall impression – I've thoroughly loved and enjoyed reading this. You don't seem to be an impatient writer because you apparently researched a lot on Hindu mythology for this. There's plenty of controversies about mythologies and you could've been misguided by different informations on internet. But you didn't give up on the research and finally penned down this amazing story. Kudos!
Suggestions – I don't have much to say here. Because I've already stated my suggestions above. I'd just like to say, you might shorten the chapters just a little bit. Just an opinion. Readers mostly crazy bookworms and like to complete reading a chapter as a bookmark. Most Wattpadders are teens and students. So when they're in hurry but still determined to finish one chapter, they don't concentrate much on the author's hardwork if the chapter is too long and tends to skip lines. It's not much good even for the readers as they won't get to get all the fun of the journey of a story.

Regards,
Its_Alivia02

Regards, Its_Alivia02